We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering a hotel in La Candelaria. Bad idea?

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
248 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Considering a hotel in La Candelaria. Bad idea?

I am reading mixed reviews about this neighbourhood and it seems its safety at night is questionable. I came across a hotel w/great reviews & rates that I'm considering but after reading related posts and recommended neighbourhoods, I"m wondering if I would be better off not being based out of La Candelaria? My friend and I will be going out for dinners etc in the evenings and we don't want to feel that once it gets dark, we can't leave our hotel room.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering a hotel in La Candelaria. Bad idea?

I would stay in the 93rd street area. There are many nice hotels, restaurants and clubs there and it is safer than the Candelaria. We stayed at Casa Real and it was incredible and very reasonable. As a rule of thumb the northern parts of the city are safer than the south.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering a hotel in La Candelaria. Bad idea?

There is nothing wrong with La Candelaria, it just depends on your preferences. It is certainly grittier than northern Bogota and you need to be careful at night; if that will make you uncomfortable, stay somewhere else. btw, if you do stay in the north, I would recommend the Zona G area over Parque 93, it's more central and (I think) more interesting.

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Zona G Bogota
Zona G Bogota
365 Reviews
Bogota, Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
25 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering a hotel in La Candelaria. Bad idea?

Hi LadyMarielle,

Oakland is absolutely right, it depends on what you're looking at doing, what you like, what your preferences are. I live in La Candelaria (I'm actually writing this forum post from my favourite juice bar in La Candelaria) and I even live on the dodgy side of town. It is a beautiful part of the city and the oldest barrio in Bogotá - a must see. There are loads of bars and restaurants too. I walk around late at night with friends and have made the walk home at night once or twice on my own (although I wouldn't recommend doing that).

But it really depends on what kind of experience you want while you're here. There are a bunch of really cool hostels dotted around the area and a few hotels too. There are little jazz bars, hidden restaurants, museums. I wrote a blog post about what it's like living in La Candelaria if you want to have a read.

seecolombia.travel/blog/…

Good luck!

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
248 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering a hotel in La Candelaria. Bad idea?

For sure I want to check out this neighbourhood. I've seen awesome pictures and read some interesting reviews and it sounds like a 'must see'. However after posting my question, I did a bit more research and I am leaning towards staying in another part of the city afterall.

Thanks Thundarr for the useful tip about north vs south!!

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
93 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering a hotel in La Candelaria. Bad idea?

I am also planning a trip to Colombia and have done a lot of research; I chose to stay the first part of my trip in La Candaleria [then we head to Cartegena for four days] and the second part in Zone Rosa to experience two neighborhoods.

This is a recent article from the NY Times that made me feel like I made the right choice for me.

…nytimes.com/2012/…

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
248 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering a hotel in La Candelaria. Bad idea?

Thanks so much for sharing - great read!! I checked out some hotels in various neighbourhoods and sadly, I have yet to find one with as great reviews and price point as the one I initially found in La Candelaria. Luckily I'm not going for another 7 weeks so I have time to keep researching.

Happy travels!!

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering a hotel in La Candelaria. Bad idea?

Hi ladymairielle, I am going to be in Bogota for couple of days in November on our way to and from Cartagena. We had already decided that Candelaria was the right neighborhood for us because I love staying in the more interesting parts of a city when I travel. Because we are both women travelers, I booked the Hotel D'Opera which is smack-dab in the middle of the historic center of Caldelaria and we won't have to do much walking around at night hopefully, but we can always cab it. The hotel was the one mentioned in the NY Times article. I changed my existing reservations so that we would not have to walk around too much at night and when I do walk around I will carry my money on my person and not wear jewelry. In Sicily last year I stayed in the ancient Zuccheria Market area of Palermo and it was an amazing stay. Everyone told us not to stay there because it was too dangerous, etc, etc....There were only a few tourists staying tin that area and the Sicilians were more than friendly. I never felt unsafe. The same happened to us when we staying in ancient center of Naples. Again a fascinating trip. Just my thoughts after doing a lot of research. Good luck with your decision and have a great trip.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 09:49
Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering a hotel in La Candelaria. Bad idea?

Las Aguas and La Candelaria were my stomping grounds for several years dating back as far as the mid 70’s. Recently I revisited the area during the day, did a walk about, the Concordia Marcado, Candelaria and even an impromptu visit to see one of my old landlords.

My stroll through my old barrio left me with a sense of nostalgia. There is something said about staying in a centuries old area. They have revitalized many of the old buildings; some have been turned into interesting B/B, Colonial hotels and art deco style hotels.

During the evening, no matter where you are in Bogota it’s best to have a taxi called, you will be assigned a clave or password without this you will not take the cab.

During our day visit we felt safe; given the chance we consider spending a night in the area.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 21:10
Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
248 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Considering a hotel in La Candelaria. Bad idea?

Thank you both for your helpful replies. In all honesty, a big part of me is still drawn to this area b/c it is so different than the other neighbourhoods and its proximity to the many things I want to see during the daytime. We are two female travellers as well, hence being extra cautious.

I found a place in Chapinero, Hotel Abitare 56 that has great reviews and amazing rates that we are really considering (although cheap prices and great reviews make me wonder if its too good to be true?!). We'll be booking hopefully this week so it may come down to a coin toss.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Considering a hotel in La Candelaria. Bad idea?

The Hotel Abitare 56 is a little light on reviews, perhaps it is because of its newness? If you read into the reviews, it states the area is also a little dodgy at night; of course this is open to interpretation. It comes down to price over worldly charm; you must have confidence in yourselves and your criteria.