We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxis in Bogota - i keep hearing scary stories

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Topic
taxis in Bogota - i keep hearing scary stories

how do i get one from city to the airport ?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: taxis in Bogota - i keep hearing scary stories

"Never get in a cab that you hailed in the street!"

Obviously this poster hasn't experienced taxi wait time in Bogota; perhaps we should be discussing when and where to hail a cab - especially during rush hour or in one of Bogota's frequent downpours.

Yes by all means dial a cab and save the unoccupied cabs for locals in a hurry. Seriously no one likes getting ripped off,even by a cabby, yes it occasionally happens but not with the frequency we are led to believe.

Goteed1
Level Contributor
375 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: taxis in Bogota - i keep hearing scary stories

I arrived in Bogota last Friday and took a cab from the airport to my hotel. He tried to charge me an outrageous amount even though the meter read otherwise. Luckily I has done some homework on the forums here and knew approximately what the fare should be. I walked over to the windshield of his taxi and started writing down all of his driver info and miraculously the price went back to normal.

The next cab ride I had was arranged by the hotel and went off just fine.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: taxis in Bogota - i keep hearing scary stories

I am a Colombian, and this is how we take safe taxis in Bogota.

- Use an app: there are some apps that works on almost any device: Easy Taxi , Tappsi, Smart Taxi, Taxis libres.

- Call a Taxi: some numbers: 2-111-111 , 3-111-111, 4-111-111

- take the taxis inside shopping malls

- ask the place you are to call a cab for you.

- If you have to take a taxi in the streets never take a taxi that looks that in stopped and waiting for somebody to go in, specially in good places like zona rosa, and parque de la 93. Just take those taxis that are moving.

- The probability of you cathching a cab that will do sth to you is very low, and of course remember that the scary stories are the ones that sound much more that all the normal stories.

I have had lots of foreigner staying in my home, and nothing have happened.

greetings,

Welcome to Colombia

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: taxis in Bogota - i keep hearing scary stories

...when all else fails... http://www.denunciealtaxista.com/

Edited: 23 April 2014, 22:33
25. Re: taxis in Bogota - i keep hearing scary stories

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Bogota