We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reputable emeralds dealer?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Reputable emeralds dealer?

I will post the same question in the Cartagena section since I will visit both cities. Can anyone here recommend an emerald dealer in Bogotá that has quality stones and good prices? Dont get me wrong, I am not so naive as to believe I will get the most precious stones in Colombia since they will be exported I guess. But maybe it is still possible to buy good stuff that maybe isnt the highest high end but offers good value for money. So

a) do you know a good, trustful place to buy emeralds

b) do you think it is really cheaper to buy emeralds in Colombia than abroad?

I appreciate any help, Thank you.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reputable emeralds dealer?

Bogota is the undisputed emerald capital of the world!

The Colombian emeralds mines are in Boyaca, once the rough hits Bogota (the Colombian cutting center) the trickle - down effect is set in motion…

Will you get a better deal in Bogota… that my dear Max will vary depending on your contacts, experience and buying skills? Customarily, wholesale emerald prices will be varying according to the dealer and his closeness to the source i.e. mine. Retail prices are all over the place, there are literally thousands of retail shops in Bogota that sell emeralds.

I would highly recommend you do some prior research before buying emeralds in Bogota; have a budget in mind: size (carat weight), quality, cut and color are the four most important factors to buying a good emerald for the right price in Bogota.

Recently I received some news from an International Travel agency located in Bogota regarding the subject of an Emerald Tour in Bogota; basically the tour encompasses Bogota´s emerald district, featuring visits to cutting centers and other equally interesting stops that are the nuts and bolts of the emerald business in Bogota. An optional tour to a real Boyaca emerald mine has also been put forward.

I will report my tour experience at a later date.

2. Re: Reputable emeralds dealer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 06:16