We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time in Bogota

Monmouth Beach, New...
Level Contributor
457 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
How much time in Bogota

Just started planning for next winter....Bogota would be near the end of a six week trip starting in Brazil and Peru....We are open on time, but wondering what is need to see Bogota and surrounding areas by day trips...Thanks!

Stan

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time in Bogota

Four days absolute minimum. If you are coming to Bogota directly from Andean Peru, you won't need a day acclimating yourself to the elevation.

calif
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time in Bogota

I spent three days in Bogota and felt that I saw most everything.

Guayaquil, Ecuador
Level Contributor
48 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time in Bogota

4 day is enough yes. Try to go to Cartagena, that is a must see I think! I also liked Santa Marta and Medelin.

milan
Level Contributor
124 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time in Bogota

a week would be the best to see everything and live the city as it deserves...try to visit the sorroundings which are very beautiful just 30 minutes away

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time in Bogota

You could spend a week in Bogota for every year of your remaining lifetime,yes perhaps you may get to know Bogota and its surrounding areas. Bogota is an ever changing canvas, new restaurants, bars, hotels, tourist and cultural attractions open and close every year…

Seriously even a week would barely scratch the surface; imo you could fill 3 -5 days with walking tours of museums, historic areas, shopping ,nightlife and add a couple of out of town destinations.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time in Bogota

I think 3 full days should be more than enough. I liked Monserrate but otherwise I prefered other places in Colombia over Bogota.

Cecilia

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

7. Re: How much time in Bogota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 July 2013, 20:35
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,692 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time in Bogota

If you're a "normal" middle-of-the-road tourist then I agree, 3 - 4 days is enough time to hit all the normal guide book highlights.

If you're a big city fan and love the cultural underbelly of a big, complicated city then it's a different story... you'll require a LOT more time.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

milan
Level Contributor
124 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time in Bogota

I agree with everything but I would avoid to stay in candelaria which is lonely and dodgy at night....can take a transmilenio and walk around during the day and come back to enjoy city energy at north(chapinero, zona Gourmet, zona T etcc..)

anyway the only proper hostel in the centre is masaya which is ruled by french...very nice even I don't persnally like the location

enjoy bogota

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time in Bogota

I'd like to respectfully disagree with gabriele v on one point there: I think there are plenty of proper hostels in La Candelaria: for example, The Cranky Croc, or Explora - both of which are right in the heart of the oldest part of town, and staffed by truly lovely people. I don't want to be rash with advice, but, having lived in La Candelaria for 7 months and experiencing no real trouble whatsoever in this area (so far - knock on wood), I'd personally say that, if you stay aware of your surroundings and what's happening, it's not forbiddingly dangerous here.

And, re the original question; I'd agree with most others here - 4 days would give you a good, proper taste of the city, but you could definitely stay longer and still not experience everything Bogota has to offer.