We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone sim card

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
cell phone sim card

I am visiting bogota and bringing my own cell phone. can I get a sim card at the airport or otherwise, where?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone sim card

I don´t think they sell sim cards at the airport; you could check upstairs, internet cafes,any major mall has cell phone outlets i.e. Tigo,Movistar,Claro or UFF.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone sim card

I don't think extranjeros can buy a sim card in Colombia, it needs to be registered to a Colombian ID (cedula). I had a friend buy one for me.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone sim card

Most of my experience in Colombia is with cell phones borrowed from my familia Colombiano; we buy are own sim card then pre- load it with minutes. In the op case check with their local cell phone provider to see if any international roaming charges will be charged.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone sim card

I could not buy a sim card by myself, a cédula (id card) number or colombian passport number was required. A colombian friend had to buy it for me.

UK it's a OK
Level Contributor
375 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone sim card

I bought, loaded and am currently using a Clao SIM card and all I needed was to pay the 5,000 purchase fee and a provide a phone number - I gave my UK home number.

All this took about 3 minutes at a Claro sales desk at a Exito supermarket in Medellin. It took longer to purchase extra load as I had to queue at the checkout to do this.

Never ever been refused a SIM card because of my nationality

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phone sim card

Sapporosushi, good for you! They did require a proof of identity, didn't they? Like your passport.

I never could do it with Tigo. My passport number did not go through. I had to request a friend to use his cedula number. The process was incredibly complicated. Now that the different operators lowered the price of minutes, and especially the price of minutes between different operators, I'll have no need to use Tigo next time.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cell phone sim card

I've registered 3-4 sims with Claro (previously comcel) these last 2-3 years with my foreign passport, never any problem. You can also buy a sim with uff at the counter of most supermarkets, you then have to call a number to register the sim and can provide any name and ID number you want to.

UK it's a OK
Level Contributor
375 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cell phone sim card

Stephane501

No ID was asked for from the sales staff. They simply added my name and hotel name/address to a list, insisted I provided a telephone number, asked me for 5,000 peso, put the SIM card in my phone for me, pressed a few buttons and I was up and running. Like I said took about 3 minutes.

They then pointed me in the direction of the check-out to load extra credit. Never asked me for a passport or ID of any type. Similar thing last year with Comcel in Bogota at a Comcel shop.

Edited: 02 April 2013, 03:41
Warragul, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: cell phone sim card

Hi, this is my first post to TripAdvisor.

I'm now on my way home from Bogota having visited my son who's now travelling in Colombia. In spite of my poor Spanish I had no problem purchasing a pre-paid simcard for my iphone 4 on arrival in Bogota. They asked for my passport, photocopied it as always happens when I purchase an overseas simcard, and filled out a form for me with a few personal details. I recharged it at the bus terminal in Cali at the tobacco shop, no difficulty. Reception is poor for internet in many places. Phone reception fine.

Perhaps everyone knows this, but although the departure tax is included in price of ticket, you still need to join the queue to get a stamped piece of paper stating the tax is paid. Heavens knows why, but that's how it is.

I found the people there helpful, they seemed very pleased to receive overseas visitors. My son would counter occasional comments of "gringo"addressed to no-one in particular and did not seem particularly malevolent, with 'non, Australiano' which always resulted in great interest as to what we were doing in Colombia and question of what we thought of their country. Since we both revelled in it, and the people were openly friendly and most went out of their way to be helpful, I'd recommend it as a country to visit and enjoy diverse scenery, cities, towns and most importantly the people. The most common first words were 'welcome to Colombia' and I have not laughed so much with people with whom I have little language in common as I have in Colombia. One learns to be flexible, plans do not always as expected, but somehow it always turns out fine with a little help from the locals. I'll be going back when I can, hopefully after learning a little more Spanish.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cell phone sim card

Gringo is used as a description, not an insult, now being an Aussie you might consider it a insult - haha.

I get called mono alot, white skin, although my skin is darker than my wife's and she is a Colombiana.

Glad you had a good time, generally Colombians are very friendly and go out of their way to welcome you, especially extranjeros.