We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bogota with a 12 year old boy?

Which Bogota hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Bogota with a 12 year old boy?

Hi everyone,

I am considering taking my 12 year old son on a trip to Bogota in June or July for a week. Is this a good idea? What is there to do that might interest a kid? He loves sports. Where would you stay? Any nearby excursions? Thanks for any help.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bogota with a 12 year old boy?

Yes it would be a great idea to take your son to Bogota; visiting another country and seeing how the rest of the world lives can be an empowering experience. June/July is holiday time in Colombia, local Bogota parks i.e Parque Nacional is full of families enjoying the park and playing. Bogota should be a beehive of activity; rock bands, circus performances and Parque Salitre are popular this time of year.

The Tren de la Sabana is an old steam train which operates on weekends. There are several interesting towns near Bogota easily reached by bus; local tour companies offer day tours as well as other outdoor activities i.e. rafting, repelling and hiking.

http://www.turistren.com.co/

milan
Level Contributor
124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bogota with a 12 year old boy?

bogota is as safe as any other south american city...so no problem with a little boy, of course try to stay in safe parts and that is it!

probably he can enjoy the sorroundings as playa wrote

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bogota with a 12 year old boy?

You can spend some time at the swiming pool. I would recommend either the Cici Aqua Park, which is a water park more than a pool, and located within the city (at Parque Salitre level, already mentioned by playa4u), or the indoor pool of Cafam Club campestre, in the outskirts of the city (up North).

If you and your son can ride horses, you may consider a ride in La Calera. Some information (in Spanish) here: http://www.cabalgatasenlacalera.com/

4. Re: Bogota with a 12 year old boy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2013, 15:04
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bogota with a 12 year old boy?

paulgiles, I read the blog entry regarding Kid's travel guide. I think the selection of places is pretty spot-on. Maybe we could say that regarding Maloka, the drawback is that everything is in Spanish. If the kids are not fluent in Spanish, the experience may be a bit disappointing.

I never been to the Museo de los niños, so I can't really say, but I guess it could lead to the same language issue.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bogota with a 12 year old boy?

Stephane, you are right on the money, there! You've pointed out something that anyone worth their blog should've thought about, but somehow slipped my mind! I've a sneaky suspicion that Museo de los nino is similarly Spanish-centric, although, for the younger kids, it may not matter so much. Thank you for that:)

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Bogota with a 12 year old boy?

The SEECOLOMBIA series on traveling with kids and these posts are well-timed for my family. We'll be arriving this week with my 14 year-old daughter and 11 year-old son in tow with Bogata, Medellin and Cartagena on the three-week itinerary. We'll bus it from Bogata to Medellin with stops in Hondo and Manizales. From Medellin, we'll fly to Cartagena. Should I book the flight from Medellin to Cartagena from the states or just wait till we arrive in Colombia? Also, which internal airline do you suggest? Finally, any suggestions for Thermal baths on the way to Medillin? Anything else you can suggest would be appreciated.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bogota with a 12 year old boy?

Hi Senorgeog

From Medellin to Cartagena, flights with Viva Colombia can be dirt cheap. The company started their operations like a year ago; their planes are in good shape. It is a low cost company (If I remember well, Ryanair has some stakes in the company), and their schedules are not always very reliable. Well, expect the level of service of a Low cost company. Otherwise you can fly either Avianca or Copa Airlines. Both are Star Alliance members, in case you are into some airmiles programs. They are standard companies, with standard levels of service.

Nevertheless, if anything goes wrong (lost luggage, cancellation…), you’ll face one of the bad aspects of Colombia: The general lack of commitment to client satisfaction, and the incapacity of clerks and even middle-management to make any personal decision. I’d say that you may fly either Viva, Copa, or Avianca, if anything goes wrong, you’ll be highly frustrated by the way things are handled anyway.

Domestic flights fares obey to a very simple rule: The more you wait, the higher price you pay. I’ve never seen last minute price falls.

9. Re: Bogota with a 12 year old boy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 07:18