We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita?

Which Bogota hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita?

Hello everyone,

I'm enjoying my time in Bogota tremendously; I've gone to many of the museums; walked around Bolivar Par, Botanical Gardens and markets; gone up Monserrate and gotten an amazing view at night.

I'm planning my final weekend and I'd like to go a bit further afield. In a single day I think I could do either Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita.

My first instinct is for Chicaque, because I'm a nature and bird lover and I haven't seen very much of either in the city!

On the other hand, the salt cathedral and the lake are pretty unique too.

In all likely-hood, I'll be travelling with a local friend regardless of choice, I just wanted your opinion on which is "more special"

Thanks,

Robert

Sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita?

I really enjoyed Zipaquira. And if you haven't already been there, make sure you get to Andres Carne de Res for dinner.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
268 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita?

I second Zipa, having been 3 times (1991, 2009 and 2012) its a good way to spend a day.

Have fun!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita?

Third vote for Zipiquira. The Salt Cathedral is unique and special. And the hike around Guatavita should satisfy your hunger for nature.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
1,187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita?

Fourth vote for Zipiquira. besides the salt cathedral, the city itself is interesting.

It was also a nice experience taking the public transportantion to and from there.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita?

Pretty one sided answer :)

Thanks.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita?

I'll go against the grain and recommend Chicaque; reasoning being it is uniquely different, has everything on your bucket list and is off the gingo trail...

My 2nd pick is Nemocon; it isn't on your list?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita?

The problem is that there is so much to do, and so little time to do it in!

re: Nemocon, I read about it to and I think the key is to be a bit flexible and maybe after Zipaquira we will decide to go to Nemoco instead.

But... I've also found a little gem called El Jardin Encantado, which seems to outstanding, but a little out-of-the-way for a day-trip, where I want to maximize what I see :(

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g3182284-d…

www.jardinencantado.net/startenglish.html

Is there anything else in that area that we could go see too? How does the town/village of San Francisco rate as a tourist place itself?

Thanks!

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita?

Robert,I'm liking your train of thought however I haven't visited jardinencanto. I have visited Villeta and a few smaller towns en-route. I rather like the climate , tropical vegetation and the regions relative closeness to Bogota. I will go out on a limb and say go for it - you really have to visit these areas to experience the magic they hold.

Thanks for sharing the link with us.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita?

I went to the jardinencanto and enjoyed it tremendously. I think it's a first-class experience - I've never even heard of such a concentration of hummingbirds!

I didn't get to any of the other places I've mentioned (not enough weekends!) so I can't say if it was worth missing them, but for anyone who isn't counting their free time in Bogota - this is a MUST!

Traveling with a local friend, we took a bus from Portal de la 80 to La Vega and got off at the curve above San Fransisco. There's construction being done there right now and there were plenty of taxis ferrying people down to the town. In the town we visited the central square and church and then we walked to the garden. Fantastic amount of birding fluttering about, never stopping!

We decided to walk up the road/path back to the main road (~4km of easy walking) so I got a tiny taste of a nature hike :)

Absolutely no problems and can be easily done by anyone with a smattering of Spanish.

Link to some pictures (sorry, haven't gotten round to filtering them yet):

http://flickr.com/gp/102809433@N02/ESet9m/

Robert

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicaque or Zipaquira and Guatavita?

Robert

Looks like a beautiful place!

Thanks for sharing! I'll add it to my list of things to do when I am back to Bogota!

Get answers to your questions about Bogota