We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Tunja and Villa de Leyva by guagua

New York
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
visiting Tunja and Villa de Leyva by guagua

hi.. I m visiting Bogota in a few weeks and have a few days free.. I d like to set off for Villa de leyva and Tunja by guagua but my question is .. does the guagua pass by the Park Jaime Duque in Tocancipa and can do both trips together? By guagua.. thanks

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Tunja and Villa de Leyva by guagua

It seems you can:

www.parquejaimeduque.com/ubicacion.html

(Is the word guagua used in Colombia? I have only ever heard 'bus')

Bogota, Colombia
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Tunja and Villa de Leyva by guagua

yes no problem, you can take a bus in bogota to tunja(us 9) 2.5 hours, or bogota to jaime duque and in tunja you can visit the center, and after take a bus to villa de leyva (1,5) us 7, there is much buss service, 15 or 20 minutes you can take a bus in any of these citys, escuse my bad english

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Tunja and Villa de Leyva by guagua

no we don't use the word 'guagua' for buses but we do call the old ones chivas. You could also take the the train to parque duque; mind you a stop in Zipa may also vale la pena.....)

Once in Zipaquira you could travel the alternate route (45A) via Chinquira - villa de leiva; on the return trip circle back via Tunja - Bogota.

http://www.turistren.com.co/

en.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=947954

Edited: 30 March 2014, 22:31
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Tunja and Villa de Leyva by guagua

Brimate, if I am not wrong, I am assuming you are Puerto Rican... hehe I am, and we use guagua in PR. I think Puerto Ricans may be the only ones that use guagua, but not sure. In Colombia they say el Bus, o la buseta, chivas are the more colorful ones, but not sure if they call the busetas chivas too.

You can get to Tunja and Villa De Leyva via the bus. Keep in mind the trip is about 4 hours away via car. Therefore via bus is longer so plan to stay in Villa de Leyva a night or two depending when you leave Bogota.

I did the trip via car, but a friend from Colombia drove and I am glad he did as the directions are not very intuitive. That could be another option. Renting a car. It is a nice drive.

This what Lonely Planet says on the book on how to get there:

"The bus terminal is three blocks southwest of the plaza mayor, on the road to Tunja. Minibuses run between Tunja and Villa de Leyva every 15 minutes from 5am to 6pm (45 minutes, 39km). There are only two buses daily to Bogota. Your best bet is go to Tunja and change buses."

Places you stop along the way:

- Puente de Boyaca

- Pantano de Vargas

- Zipaquira

- Nemocon

- Raquira

- Paipa

- Tibasosa

- Marques de Punta Larga Winery

Some other info:

- www.frommers.com/destinations/bogota/278016

- https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum…

Hope this helps!!

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Tunja and Villa de Leyva by guagua

Puente Boyaca is just off hwy55 Tunja - Bogota; Paipa,Tibasosa, Pantano de Vargas - interesting yes but closer to Duitama. Raquira can be done on a side trip from VdL. Zipa is not on hwy55, Nemoncon is 30 minutes - 45A,both are closer to Bogota.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 21:41
6. Re: visiting Tunja and Villa de Leyva by guagua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bogota