We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1hr stopover in Bogota - do I have to go through customs?

Markham, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
1hr stopover in Bogota - do I have to go through customs?

Hello everyone, please help me out here. My mom is gonna be traveling to Venezuela from Canada, but due to Air Canada not having direct flights anymore, she has to stop in Bogota before taking Avianca to Venezuela.

My question is: since she's only stoping for an hour, does she need to go through customs? Also, how easy is the airport to navigate? She's traveling alone and she knows spanish, but I would still like to make it as easy as possible for her :/

Thanks in advance!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1hr stopover in Bogota - do I have to go through customs?

Unless there are special rules for travel to Venezuela, she should not have to clear customs in Colombia. Technically, she is not "entering" Colombia. She would just be remaining in the international gateway area.

Bogota El Dorardo International Airport is a very small airport. There are only nine international gates.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1hr stopover in Bogota - do I have to go through customs?

I concur. Bogota El Dorado airport is not a huge airport. Furthermore, it is a brand new terminal, with good directional signs, and, from personal experience, rather nice employees ready to help. Your mom should not have too many troubles finding her way.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1hr stopover in Bogota - do I have to go through customs?

An hour doesn't look long to me. Is she flying all the way with Avianca? If so, they will take care of her; otherwise it depends on whether the airlines have an interline agreement.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1hr stopover in Bogota - do I have to go through customs?

Every time I come through Bogota there are airport staff waiting when you exit the plane with signs for different ongoing international flights (last arrival 1 week ago). There will probably be one for your flight and they will guide her.

5. Re: 1hr stopover in Bogota - do I have to go through customs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 06:16