We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day and a half in Bogota - Salt Cathedral?

Which Bogota hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day and a half in Bogota - Salt Cathedral?

We only have a day and a half in Bogota. Flight gets in at 1:30pm on Sat and leave out at 4:15am the Monday morning.

I would like to see the salt cathedral but am now second guessing this as it would take away from time seeing Bogota. ESP since the time we would have to go to the SC would be a Sunday morn and I hear that's the time when I would want to be in town while the streets are closed.

Thoughts?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day and a half in Bogota - Salt Cathedral?

The trip to Zipa/cathedral could take up the whole day; the main roads in & out of Bogota are busy,especially on Sunday. Probably best to stick to local tourist sites; btw Sunday,ciclovia closes some of the traffic lanes to allow pedestrians & bikes to move about, this can cause traffic delays on some routes.

movilidadbogota.gov.co/hiwebx_archivos/audio…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day and a half in Bogota - Salt Cathedral?

We went in the early afternoon and did not get back until pretty late. It IS a functioning church, so they have a mass there at 1 p.m. which might be worthwhile to attend.

colombia.travel/en/…zipaquira-salt-cathedral

I was lucky in that I was staying with a local friend who knew the public transit very well. If you can get at it early, and you LIKE these kind of architectural things, and you've got the transportation issue thing down ... I'd go for it on Sunday morning early. It is a very unusual experience (and I'm not one who normally goes for "touristy" things).

David

https://www.youtube.com/user/AlSurMedia

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
268 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day and a half in Bogota - Salt Cathedral?

Only a day and a half!!!!! I have been to the SC in Zipa twice in the past 5 years but this after exploring Bogota for weeks and even months. This being said I have truly enjoyed each visit and will even visit again next time when I am in Bogota and have a few days.

Because your time is so short either stick to the city (ie. Monserrate, etc.) sights for the 1-1/2 days or get a very early start Sunday and make it out to Zipa. I am not sure which roads they close down for the pedestrians, guess where your hotel is located could play a part in your Sunday cross town travels and you have an option should you can't make it out of the city to enjoy the city sights.

Have fun! And you will be back.

4. Re: Day and a half in Bogota - Salt Cathedral?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Bogota