We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hrs layover in bogota colombia

Orlando
2 posts
Save Topic
12 hrs layover in bogota colombia

Going to cartagena colombia and i have 12 hrs layover in bogota , do i have to pick up my baggage in bogota and re check them .

Thank you .

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 hrs layover in bogota colombia

Hi

Depends if you bought one single travel to Cartagena or two independent tickets.

If its one single travel with two legs, your baggage will follow you till Cartagena.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,134 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 hrs layover in bogota colombia

Stephane - are you sure on that? For international arrivals I have had to pick up my bags and recheck them (with the avianca desk just here you pick up the bags in Bogota) although I have not done a connection with baggage for a long time from international so could have changed.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 hrs layover in bogota colombia

Steohan is correct. The old days prior to the new eldorado required a recheck but now if you bought a complete ticket the bags travel to final destination. Another reason not to price shop on different legs of a trip.

4. Re: 12 hrs layover in bogota colombia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 18:08
Edited: 07 August 2014, 18:08
florida
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 hrs layover in bogota colombia

Brian, What do you mean " A good reason not to price shop on different legs of a trip"? For the reason that you would have to get your bags and then check them all over again and go through customs or something else?

I'm asking because I was just thinking maybe i should check the prices for different legs of the trip but it may not be worth the completion and chance of misplaced luggage each time.

Thanks.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,134 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 hrs layover in bogota colombia

Because if tickets are not linked ie if you bought separately as each leg; on occasions airlines will not check them through to the last destination. We found this out the hard way a few years ago going back to Australia - we bought each leg on its own as it was cheaper, and they were only going to check luggage through to the next destination (and that was with the same airline - Air France). With a lot of arguing we got through it but it was a pain.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
207 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 hrs layover in bogota colombia

I had recently travelled on Avianca to Cartagena from Madrid, and had a long layover in Bogota. Your bags will be checked through to Cartagena, but you will have to go through immigration at the Bogota airport, then check yourself in at the Avianca counter. I made the mistake of assuming that I was checked all the way through, and missed my flight, because Avianca said they were overbooked, that I should have checked myself in again at the counter... blah blah blah. When I had asked for my luggage, I was told my luggage went with the flight to Cartagena. Was not in a good mood after that, although Avianca did compensate me with a night's stay, I had tour arrangements in Cartagena and lost that. Best to check with the office, (not just any staff) before assuming anything.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 hrs layover in bogota colombia

rainna brings up a great point and is 100% correct. You have to re-check bags and pass immigration in Bogota on out bond flights. Now no matter if on same ticket with code share i.e. United/Copa you will have to retrieve bags in Bogota.

I am not sure about same airline all the way through like Avianca on outbound from Colombia. They may check bags through through final destination from say a Cartagena but code shares will not.

Never buy different legs in Colombia as airlines are late so much with weather. If Bogota has rain or heavy fog it backs up the entire country. If you miss connection and have not purchased flight on single ticket ie United/Copa bought through United. Then you basically are screwed like you missed flight. They will not prioritize your return nor pay for any overnight hotel stays. It is not worth risk in a country with such poor on-time ratings.

Edited: 15 August 2014, 14:59
9. Re: 12 hrs layover in bogota colombia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:16