We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English-speaking travel agency?

Oslo
Level Contributor
449 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
English-speaking travel agency?

Can someone reccomend me a good english-speaking travel agency offering jungle/adventure trips?

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English-speaking travel agency?

For real 'adventure' in the jungle you can arrange lodge stays, river expeditions and rainforest treks of any length in any of the three Guianas: Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana.

Note that Guyana is South America's only english-speaking country so you will not have a language issue there. Suriname has some good english-speaking guides if you ask in the right places; in French Guiana the language barrier is harder to surmount.

In the past I've used Wilderness Explorers (www.wilderness-explorers.com) in Georgetown, Guyana... they offer programs in all three of the Guianas. Ask for Delice Rogers, the Assistant Manager (delice@wilderness-explorers.com). Evergreen Adventures is another known quantity for Guyana-only trips.

METS is a decent shop in Parimaribo (www.surinamevacations.com/index.php?lang=eng), and in my travels I've met a number of their staff and guides. Be sure to ask for one of their better english-speaking guides such at Yul, Nootje, or Boykie. Erik Kuiper can handle your request or will assign you to one of his planners. For better or worse, METS focuses on the lodges they own/operate such as Awarradam and Palumeu. Both of these are perfectly worthwhile destinations, but if you ask for additional options they will be reluctant to present offerings not in their domain.

In French Guiana, the top shop I've found is Takari Tours where Rejane (Ray-John) (female) will assist you. I'm not sure what is up with their non-existent website, but the email address I have for them is rejane.takari@orange.fr

In Guyana you might want to consider visiting some of the Amerindian-operated jungle lodges such as Rewa, Maipaima, or Surama. Look them up on Trip Advisor. They're remote and teeming with nature. Iwokrama, the Canopy Walkway, and Rock View Lodge are also ensconced in the Rupununi region of Guyana's interior. Kaieteur Falls is a must-see. Birding in Guyana is world-class. From time to time Wilderness Explorers has a jungle 'survival' program available, if you're in to that level of hardship... it was mentioned in the recent issue of Conde Nast Traveler.

In Suriname, Awarradam is a good place to experience Maroon culture, whereas Palumeu is focused on Amerindian culture. Both involve small-plane transfers into the interior. Of course there is Parimaribo, the capital, a designated World Heritage City. Plan on at least a day to explore around town. Without flying to an interior lodge or river trip, however, you will inevitably be disappointed in the condition of the rainforest in Suriname.

I've traveled quite a bit through all three Guyanas and my experience is that nature (the rainforest and the animals who live there) is in *much* better condition in Guyana... but traveling conditions there are slightly more difficult. Suriname's tourism infrastructure - slightly more advanced - caters strongly to Dutch tastes and focuses on recreation/leisure in a natural setting... less emphasis on wildlife. French Guiana is in a world of its own, also offering Maroon and Amerindian village visits but with better vehicles, roads and hotels (at least in Cayenne) not to mention the European Space Agency's launch center. The former penal colony of the Isles du Salut (Devils Island) is a must-see.

Most of these lodges and attractions are reviewed on Trip Advisor.

All three countries are considerably more expensive than you think they should be, so don't fall out of your chair or assume you're getting fleeced when you start getting price quotes. The lack of infrastructure and tourism volume in these countries prevents anyone from achieving any sort of economy of scale. Transport (fuel) costs in particular really run up the tab. And, unlike other mainstream tropical destinations, lodges are a notch or two below standard. BUT, for all that, you do get to visit a land of rivers and rainforests that hasn't been trampled by 14 million people per year, and believe me, that is worth something.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: English-speaking travel agency?

Hi

I caught this one a little late. Was traveling a little and went on a bang on cricket spree .

Man ah so sorry to see that West Indies lost so early. Cannot really rely on them,eh, but we have to give it to England for their fighting spirit.

In Suriname most tour operators speak ENGLISH!. This is also true for the guides and assistants who are in the tourism industry. No need to bull around here!

The tours are NOT expensive - the operators charge exhorbitant prices- and fool you into thinking these countries are expensive.

When I travelled to the 3 Guianas - Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana- the only country I found to be quite ( i emphasize quite) expensive is French Guiana.

We selected our tour company based on price and quality and it was not WIlderness Explorers. So Mr minSF you can promote them as much as you like i don need to rob a bank just to go with them.

Let us move on to other interesting topics which would be of some benefit to other real travellers- not phantoms.

Like how beautiful these countries really are and the real beauty is getting into the interior. Some cities are worth the visit, expecially Georgetown, and Paramaribo. I found Georgetown this time around to be very dirty-litter all around -buit beautiful. I did not go back to Suriname or French Guiana

French Guiana has lots to offer but prices will be the only factor which may hinder you unless you have the Euros or POUNDS to shell out. Out TT $ can only stretch so far!

In searching for a tour conpany check them all out. I believe a man has to make up his mind one way or the other - but not be forced and shoved into submission.

Thank you

From Trindad the Beautiful Caribbean city of Carnival and calypso and beautiful people who enjoy life to the fullest. We have the Asa Wright Centyer and beautiful birders apradise which has seen over 18,000 visitors. I understand

Big up Big up!!!!

3. Re: English-speaking travel agency?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2010, 11:17
4. Re: English-speaking travel agency?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 05:16