We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas to PNG. Travel hints for Sepik

Cracow, Poland
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visas to PNG. Travel hints for Sepik

We (me and my husband, coming from Cracow Poland) are willing to go to PNG in August - visit Sepik and Ambunti Crocodile Festival, see birds of paradise and have a couple of days relax, snorkelling etc (Muschu?). We have some travelling experience including Vanuatu and Solomons last year, we do not need luxuries and love meeting local people.

We have some questions and will be grateful for hints:

1. Visa: is it really possible to get a visa at the airport or shall we arrange it beforehand and where. We are EU citizens , no PNG embassy in Poland, closest in Brussels.

2 Mosquitoes repellent: are those available on site, which do you recommend (name), where to look for them (airport/city?). Any other special medicine needed (apart from malarone and usual vaccinations)

3. Places - can you recommend any special place a must see at Upper and Middle Sepik as well as in Wewak or at Muschu?

4. We intend to use the assistance of travel agency "PNG Frontier Adventures" - from Wewak they seem nice on the web - any opinions?

Thank you in advance

Monika

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visas to PNG. Travel hints for Sepik

Hi Monika

1. PNG immigration have recently updated their website. see http://www.immigration.gov.pg/visa.html

Visas are available at the airport - called "easy visitor permits" - for citizens of many but not all countries - I would call the embassy in Brussels to check if Poland is Ok. the cost is PGK100 cash. There is a pretty reliable ATM machine in the customs hall which dispenses cash from visa and mastercards.

2. My travel doctor recommended mosquito spray containing DEET. You can buy 20% DEET in Boroko Foodworld at Gordons, or SVS Harbour City in Konedobu, probably other places as well. Both of these are supermarkets in Port Moresby. It is not available at the airport, but note that in Port Moresby city you don't need to take malarials.

3 and 4 I'll let others comment. My only comment is I've never seen a travel or tour website that seems nasty on the web!! Mention to your doctor that cholera now exists in Wewak and the lower Sepik. This has only occurred in the last six months.

Enjoy your visit and you'll find PNG a very welcoming place too.

Cheers skip.

Cracow, Poland
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visas to PNG. Travel hints for Sepik

Thank you very much for all info - we will contact Brussels about the visas. We knew already about cholera so we'll take necessary precautions. We also got some positive independent opinions (not from the web :) about the travel office.

Anyway we still look for some hints about what to see and .. what to avoid.

Monika

San Diego
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visas to PNG. Travel hints for Sepik

You seems to be knowledgeable about PNG. We are traveling from US. Is it possible t get a private guide and travel the five key places -- Mt Hagen, Madang, Sepic River or do you recommend a tour. We are traveling to the Sing Sing in Tumbuna in May. The travel agency seems to be over the top in costs -- $11,000. What is your take.

Many thanks,

Carol

Cracow, Poland
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visas to PNG. Travel hints for Sepik

Just to update the visa issue - we have applied to PNG embassy in Brussels, sent passports with application form downloaded from net and copies of airline tickets there and received them back via UPS - all procedure lasted 5 days. The people in embassy were very informative and helpful and the costs were 40 Euro each visa (not counting postage).

As to CapSanDiego question we will be certainly much wiser after coming back (in a month) with respect to recommendations :). However we have chosen to visit the Sepik river region (and Ambunti Crocodile Festival), using package tour with PNG Frontier Adventures guide (just for the two of us). It's much cheaper than the option you selected but also much more close to the nature (read far less comfortable) i.e. overnights in the villages, travelling by dug-out boat etc., no inland flights.

monika

5. Re: Visas to PNG. Travel hints for Sepik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2010, 12:06
6. Re: Visas to PNG. Travel hints for Sepik

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

San Diego
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visas to PNG. Travel hints for Sepik

Dear MPQ-Domanski:

Many thanks for info -- anxious to hear about your trip when you return. I will contact PNG Frontier Adventure -- Good luck - It should be awesome.

Carol

8. Re: Visas to PNG. Travel hints for Sepik

Cracow, Poland
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visas to PNG. Travel hints for Sepik

Just arrived from PNG visited Middle Sepik, Wewak, Yuo Island and Port Moresby - unforgettable experience, superb adventure, wonderful people, absolutely reliable travel agency. Happily will share news and recommendations also at mdoman@agh.edu.pl.

San Diego
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Visas to PNG. Travel hints for Sepik

Glad you arrived safely back. Can you give me any more infor on your trip? Weather conditions? What is Hot?? The highlight of the trip and the lowlight.. Tribes that you liked. Where they local or set up for the tourist industry. Did you do bird watching and can you give me any of your tour facilitates?

We really, really appreciate any help. We are planning for next May for the Sing Sing at Mt Hagen and want desperately do to the Sepik River.

Thanks so much.

Carol