We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young family moving to Bulolo to join husband

Earth!
5 posts
Save Topic
Young family moving to Bulolo to join husband

I am planning on moving to Bulolo within the next couple of months with my 4yo to join my husband there.

I know we'll probably be stuck inside the house/compound daily, however is there anything to do at the weekends or for breaks away (other than trips to Aus). Also, is Lae an option for a saturday excursion?

My son is very active and I'm hoping we're not cooped up too much or we'll both go mad.

Thanks!

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young family moving to Bulolo to join husband

Hi MermaidMama

I haven't been to Bulolo, but there's stuff on the web that indicates its a beautiful part of the world

http://bulolo_png.webs.com/wauandwatut.htm

There are plenty of kids in the compound where I live; and they are usually fairly large places with plenty of room to run around. Young children generally adapt much more easily than teenagers, the kids here have a great time in the afternoons and the guards love them.

The downside of anywhere in PNG is usually the security situation and there have been a lot of clashes between locals and East Sepik settlers over the last couple of years which the official smarttraveller.gov.au website notes.

I suggest the best place to check the possibilities for getting out is your husband's employerand others in the compound. They will have some sort of arrangements in place for keeping spouses sane. They will know the security risks, the things to do, and the precautions to take.

The roads in PNG are often very poor and its usually much more convenient to fly out, and Lae is a high crime destination. But the locals will know best. APNG has flights from Bulolo to Port Moresby (POM) and that will feel like a big city compared with a rural compound.

Cheers skip

2. Re: Young family moving to Bulolo to join husband

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2011, 05:16