We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madang or Kavieng or Rabaul

Newcastle, Aus
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Madang or Kavieng or Rabaul

Hi,

Last year I went to Madang and stayed at Madang Lodge. Wonderful!!

This year a female friend is flying over whilst I have a few days off. I have checked out the airfares and with the dates we have (5 days), from Port Moresby to Magang is $300 return, Port Moresby to Kavieng $404 return or Rabaul $504 return. (All Aus dollars)

I am happy to return to Madang as I enjoyed it, but am happy to go elsewhere. What are people's thoughts?

Planning on doing some local day sightseeing/tours, one or two dives, relax, etc. Thanks.

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madang or Kavieng or Rabaul

Sorry, been on holiday myself. Good to see you coming back!

There's not much in the airfares, given the overall cost of getting to PNG, is there?

Madang might be a bit 'been there, done that'. Lots of interesting things around Rabaul and www.rapopo.com is a dive resort that friends have given the thumbs up to. Rapopo is closer to Kokopo than Rabaul and there are other places to stay at Kokopo.. Note that if staying in Rabaul itself you need to like grit - it comes from the volcano and settles everywhere

At Kavieng here is a couple places to stay

scuba-safaris.com/scuba-diving-locations/pap…

Note that the airport at Kavieng was closed (unhappy landowners) but reopened end of March

Cheers skip

Edited: 27 April 2011, 12:03
Madang
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Madang or Kavieng or Rabaul

Hi,

What particular sightseeing tours do you want to do for the mainland? And in which hotel are you going to be accommodated in Madang and at what time you will be arriving?

I'm a local professional tour guide (Theo's Guide) in Madang and currently do tour packages for Madang's north and south coast full-day tours. I also arrange and plan local tour itineraries depending on what cleints want.

For south coast, is fully nature incorporated (Butterfly garden, Sulfuric Creek with welcoming tortoise & eels, Caving with mythical pool; and Orchids & botanical garden including cultural performance by villagers with local lunch inclusive @PGK463 per pax for group of 3.

North is fully ecotour with tropical forest experience and north-coast scenic drive view to Alexishafen mission and colonial cemetery @PGK 319 per pax for group of 3 with packed lunch inclusive.

Niugini Dive Adventures do Diving tours and can be arranged at Madang Resort. I can cross check with their rates and get to you.

Let me know what you want to do for Madang's sight-seeing tours.

Kind Regards,

Theo's Guide (theosguide@gmail.com)

http://theosguideinpng.yolasite.com

3. Re: Madang or Kavieng or Rabaul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 01:20