We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which company to go with for the Kokoda Track??

Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which company to go with for the Kokoda Track??

Can anyone advise me what company, time of year to do the Kokoda Track. It seems there are so many out there..I'd like some input from people and their own experiences. Any relevant info on preparation and what not or what to take with you would be appreciated.

Kilcoy, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which company to go with for the Kokoda Track??

Just in case you don't get any other responses Vicstar...

Time of year - any time from about now (dry season in papua)

Who? Start with the Track Authority's list of Licensed Operators, plenty of website links to mull over here

kokodatrackauthority.org/Kokoda-Track-Author…

Cheers skip

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Which company to go with for the Kokoda Track??

Hi Vicstar,

The advice from PS is a good start. The season is from March to October - in the warmer monsoon months, few (or perhaps no) tours are carried out on the track. I just did a small section of the track from Kokoda Village to Isurava War Memorial and back - this was over the ANZAC 2011 weekend of April 24-27. It was warm! But bearable. If you don't mind cold nights, you may prefer to arrange your walk during June-July-August.

You can spend anywhere from AUD $3000 up to $6000 for a tour package. The extra value comes through the inclusion of things like: charter flights from your end point, porters to assist with carrying your gear, hire of tents and other equipment, provision of all catering, and an experienced guide who can share the history of the Australia-Japan conflict along the track in 1942 and 1943.

We opted for small and local - I walked with a group of five, and it was arranged through Destiny Tours PNG, a wholly PNG owned business. The KTA link above has the incorrect website for Destiny - it is now at http://destinytourspng.com/?page_id=4

Destiny did not provide a history guide for this trek - however we found sufficient historical background in three books read before the trip. 'Kokoda' by Peter Fitzsimmons, 'The boneman of Kokoda' by Charles Happell and 'A b@stard of a place' Peter Brune. The first two are very readable!

It was reassuring doing this walk that most of our tour package money was going back to the porters who walked with us, and the owners of village accommodation where we bedded down - some of them descended from Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels who were on the track over 60 years ago.

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which company to go with for the Kokoda Track??

what wondering how difficult is the walk from kokoda to Isurava and how long did it take in actual walking. I know its 7 hrs with stops so was wondering actual walking time. I need to be there for Anzac day so day treking in. I started my training a month ago includes walking up 30 floors in my building 4 days a week and two 9 Km walks up and down hills every weekend so hope that wi;ll be enough to get me up there!!

Port Moresby, Papua...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which company to go with for the Kokoda Track??

Recommend you check out the Kokoda Track Authority page for all information: kokodatrackauthority.org/Kokoda-Track-Author…

There are a few different tour operator's arranging Anzac day treks and will ensure you make it there for dawn service, most do 3-4days over-nighting in Deniki, Isurava and Kokoda before flying back out again.

Please email communications@kokodatrackauthority.org or call 323 6165 if you need any further information.

Sydney
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Which company to go with for the Kokoda Track??

I'd recommend that you do the trek with Kokoda Trail Expeditions. They are Australian but have offices and staff that are both Australian and Papua New Guinean. Their treks range from nine day military history treks of the Kokoda track to tours of the once bloody beachheads of Gona, Sanananda and Buna on the north coast of Papua New Guinea. They provide safe, affordable and eco-freindly treks and tours and many trekkers mainly Australians have trekked and toured with them. They are a great company so check their website out at: http://www.kokodatrailexpeditions.com.au if you want to include them on your list as one of those trekking companies to consider. I hope I have been helpful here and all the best!

Angeles
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which company to go with for the Kokoda Track??

Kokoda Trekking is best company to walk with.

http://www.kokodatrail.com.au

https://www.facebook.com/KokodaTrekking

NSW
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Which company to go with for the Kokoda Track??

I used "No Roads" to do Kokoda, they are an Australian owned company, you talk & deal with the owner. They put infrastructure back into the villages, eg. clean water, schools, health, education, eco toilets, carry out rubbish etc. This was a big plus for me. Go to their website, its impressive.

Port Moresby, Papua...
Level Contributor
1 post
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which company to go with for the Kokoda Track??

I just finished walking the whole track from Ower's Corner to Kokoda on Thursday 30 May 2013. I went with Centori, an Australian company with an office and guides on the ground in Port Moresby.

I have lived in Port Moresby for 15 years so know a lot of the trekking company names.

I would not dream of booking with anyone but Centori and Brian Freeman. His knowledge of the Kokoda track, the Australian and Japanese warfare and the villages along the way, especially Alola, cannot be surpassed. Google his book - The Lost Battlefield - and you will understand. We also had a trainer and doctor on our tour.

Best experience of my life.

Cambodia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which company to go with for the Kokoda Track??

Hello..

my name is Nikki George, I have guided on Kokoda for 10 years now crossing the Owen Stanley Range 55 times.. I have contracted for 4 companies.. just a background on my experience.

If you are walking the track in the footsteps of a friend or family member that fought in 1942, your decision might come easily.. As the first phase The Australian Retreat of Kokoda was 21st July - 26th September. I would recommend to start at Kokoda and finish at Ower's Corner as the history unfolds easily and makes sense..

Second phase 28th Sept - 3rd November The Australian Advance.. it makes sense here to start at Port Moresby as they were pushing the Japanese back to Buna & Gona.

I believe between- last week in August (first major battle at Isurava) to end of September is the best time to trek, the track is usually dry, Ginger plant are out as well as the Orchids.. July is usually quite busy as it's Australia school holidays ... I would opt for an Australian based company as you have more come back with Insurance and legalities of Duty of care. There is Kokoda Adventure, Kokoda Tours, Back Track and * Executive Excellence.

I would recommend.. Kokoda Trekking Adventures if you want a PNG based company. Their local guides are very experienced and fun if you were wanting a PNG based option..

I have a Facebook page just dedicated to Guides and Porters.. which is not marketing any particular trekking company, it does give you a good idea what to expect www.facebook.com/PNG.Kokoda.Guides.Porters

You will love the experience .. remember its all about the Journey .. take the time to get to experience it.. don't rush it

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Which company to go with for the Kokoda Track??

Hi there

Kokoda history research:

For those of you who have trekked the Kokoda Track (or have a family connection with Kokoda), you might be interested in sharing your story and experience with my friend who is researching a history of pilgrimage to the Kokoda Track. If you are interested in filling in a survey or chatting with her private message me, or email her at: acmcc8@student.monash.edu