We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kavieng to Port moresby

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Topic
Kavieng to Port moresby

Im planning to fly to Kavieng in 2 hrs this july and spend 6 weeks finding my way back...! Any info on transit spots/details i need to know? how fast is it to travel up down the coast of new ireland if i was in a rush? in new britain would u recommend i travel along the north coast or south? How safe is Lae city (i want to meet a tree kangaroo) and visit Alotau region in this time, all advice opinions welcome!

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kavieng to Port moresby

Interesting. Just returned from Kokopo today and watched this - just placed on youtube - about the Boluminski highway in New Ireland - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUvq7X1BSWg

Not sure where you're finding your way back to. Port Moresby? Hong Kong?

How are you proposing to travel? Are you intending to go alone, in an independent group or in a tour group?

Overland travel options are very limited (for example in East New Britain you cant go far down either coast) so in the main you need to do what the locals do to get from one part to another - fly.

For safety advice, this is a good starting point. Lae gets mentions for several of the wrong reasons

smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Pap…

As for good places, well my favourite list would include Kavieng and Alotau, which you've mentioned, Kokopo-Rabaul, Goroka, and no doubt others can add to this list. I seem to spend a lot of time holed up in Pt Moresby!

Cheers skip

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kavieng to Port moresby

Im travelling alone, not planning to stay in a single hotel for the whole journey...how about ferry from Rabaul to lae?

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kavieng to Port moresby

??????????????

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kavieng to Port moresby

You can get a boat from Rabaul to Lae but I wouldn't recommend it. It probably isn't the wisest decision to travel alone with no firm plans or contacts. Although people are friendly especially in rural areas Papua new Guinea does not have the same tourism infrastructure that you may be expecting. That said because there aren't thousands of tourists everywhere you get to see the 'real' PNG. You may be better off exploring each area and then flying on to the next area. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kavieng to Port moresby

no guts no glory :)

6. Re: Kavieng to Port moresby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 20:16