We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from Port Moresby to Hong Kong Air Niugini

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Flight from Port Moresby to Hong Kong Air Niugini

Has anybody done the Air Niugini flight from Port Moresby to Hong Kong.

I was wondering how reliable this flight is. At the moment we are the only 2 passengers booked on this flight, and I am concerned it will not go with only 2 people on board.

We are traveling from Brisbane to Port Moresby, then Port Moresby to Hong Kong, the last thing we want is to get stuck in Port Moresby as we have commitments in Hong Kong.

Also does anybody know what type of plane does that run, and what type of movie system does it have (back of the seat or big screens)

Any information on this trip would help

happyfeet94

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight from Port Moresby to Hong Kong Air Niugini

Hi Happyfeet

I have flown HKG-POM and it flew that time, sample of one. Have done about 40 return flights on the BNE-POM run though.

I flew the 757 ex HKG which is no longer in the fleet. All long haul aircraft are now 767s, two are ex Icelandair, the other ex Etihad. Reliability is generally ok, although a lot of flights leave up to 1 hr late.

IFE is mainscreen on all flights, but often problems with the picture. there are about 4 radio channels.

Flights with low loadings are common, although 2 seems extreme - and very unlikely. How do you know noone else is booked on the flight? Also wondering how far away in time this flight is...

Cheers skip

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight from Port Moresby to Hong Kong Air Niugini

Hi PineappleSkip,

Thank you for your reply to my question. I now know to take my own DVD player & Ipod for the trip as there doesn't seem to be a big coice of entertainment.

We still have a few weeks to go before we fly to Hong Kong, but as a few minutes ago there is still only us two on the flight.

If you go into Expedia's web site and put in your travel details it will come up with seats availabale for that flight, and we our still the only two booked.

There are plenty of people booked on the flight from Brisbane to POM so that flight is not a problem. I don't want to get stuck in POM if the other flight doesn't leave, and I can't cancel as is was a non refundable ticket.

We can only hope that more people book, or the plane is needed in Hong Kong

Cheers

Happyfeet

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight from Port Moresby to Hong Kong Air Niugini

I presume its one of the many applications that show 'available seat' maps you're referring to. These won't give a reliable indication of how many people have booked on a flight: they only indicate how many seats have been preselected. Anyone who has paid for a ticket and not preselected a seat won't block a seat on the seat maps, and Air Niugini normally only preselects seats for comparatively few passengers.

There are a number of reasons why more seats are preselected on the flights to/from Australia. First, there are a lot of regular flyers savvy enough to request oaricular seats. Second, about a third of the seats on BNE flights are presold to Qantas, who will always preselect seats for their higher status passengers. Finally - an element of conjecture here - Air Niugini has recently increased flights to Asia with the arrival of their second and third 767s and I'd expect that loadngs would be comparatively less as they try and build market share.

Applications that show seats available on particular fare basis codes (I use expertflyer) might give you some indication of loadings on a flight, but its still a rough guide only. For any airline, the actual loadings on particular flights are commercially sensitive, and not normally available other than to employees, they will only reveal a small number of seats available on a particular fare basis code: 4, 5, 7, 9, etc might be the largest number shown. It beomes learer from these apps when a flight is close to full, as availabilities on fares dry up and the fact that flight is full or close to it becomes obvious.

BTW Be aware that preselecting a Particular seat on an Air Niugini 767 flight is a lottery with fairly low chances of winning - the problem is that each aircraft is configured differently and last minute changes of aircraft throw out the preselections. You do however have an excellent chance of getting a comparable seat, e.g. Window and adjacent aisle. Also helps to check in early - at BNE check in for an Air Niugini flight will open within a couple of minutes of 2 1/2 hours before departure

Cheers skip

Cheers skip.

4. Re: Flight from Port Moresby to Hong Kong Air Niugini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Papua New Guinea