We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our PNG experiences and recommendations: Summary & Blog

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Our PNG experiences and recommendations: Summary & Blog

I put together a blog about our trip to the PNG highlands and the Sepik River, and you're welcome to have a look:

…wordpress.com/category/….

It might be helpful to you in knowing what to expect. (Note that you can click on the circular photos to get slideshows. The rectangular photos are embedded in the text.)

We used Paiya Tours to organize our visit to Mt. Hagen at the time of the sing-sing and stayed at their Magic Mountain Nature Lodge outside of town, which was much nicer than being holed up in walled hotel compounds inside Mt. Hagen. Paiya Tours did a great job.

We also went to the Ambunti Crocodile Festival on the Sepik, and that was incredible - only about 20 tourists among about 800 spectators... you might want to consider that as an alternative or as an adjunct to a Highlands show. We had a great experience using PNG Frontier Adventures to organize our Sepik Trip. They were very well organized, security conscious, and our guide Pomat was incredibly good!. We found the Sepik to be the most interesting place to visit.

Both Paiya Tours and PNG Frontier Adventures were extremely good. Before deciding on them I spent a lot of time on this forum and found only positive reviews for both Paiya Tours and PNG Frontier Adventures, but mixed or negative reviews for many other operators, so I took a chance and went with those two operators... and it paid off. I highly recommend them. (You'll get lots more detail in my blog.)

The bottom line - a remarkable trip, especially timing it to attend one or more of the big sing-sings.

Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our PNG experiences and recommendations: Summary & Blog

Very nice Blog Entries, thanks Eric for the posts. The buslike transportation in PNG in the back of trucks are commonly known as PMVs or Public Motor Vehicles, not PCVs. Most shorter trips it's a kina to get on, not recommended for tourists for safety reasons, to say nothing of the discomfort of being crammed in with many others into the crowded truck or bus, often with a pig or two to boot.

Seattle
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our PNG experiences and recommendations: Summary & Blog

I'd like to echo what Erik says here. Both Paiya Tours and PNG Frontier Adventures are excellent and both are honest companies to work with. Sadly, that's not always the case with operators in PNG.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our PNG experiences and recommendations: Summary & Blog

Starting to research and plan our trip for August 2015. Was pleased to see your links. Off to check out your blog, I will no doubt have lots of questions for you. Thanks for posting.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,484 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our PNG experiences and recommendations: Summary & Blog

i'm planning my trip with caspar dama guide and i have fidning many difficulties,i have already paid a pre-trip and i m regretting it so much...at the moment i d ask u to avoid this guide. i ll tell u more in the next days

Midway, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our PNG experiences and recommendations: Summary & Blog

I hear such great things about Caspar!!!!!!!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Our PNG experiences and recommendations: Summary & Blog

Don't book with Caspar Dama, he will steal your money and not provide the service you have paid for. There are lots of good guides and PNG is a fanytastic place to visit, just don't use this man!

Goroka, Papua New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Our PNG experiences and recommendations: Summary & Blog

Susan, you dont know what you are saying because you never did the trip to Papua New Guinea......... your son travel with me and NOT YOU......... Your son enjoy his trip with me ..100%. Just because my guide did not manage the money well............. Its my fault and you give Blame to me.......I promise to give you back the money......... I am one of the Professional tour guide in PNG..... 90% of my clients made very good comments about me since 2008, only few make bad comments, one of then is you, Susan. when you go to facebook, lonelyplanet, Linkedin, blog etc............... you will see 90% good comment about me..... thankyou very much

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,484 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our PNG experiences and recommendations: Summary & Blog

Dear kenflo, my post was written last year before our Amazing trip with caspar

I have to admit that he Made an excellent job

I ll forward u our reportage

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,484 posts