We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boroko Papua new Guine

Delhi, Louisiana
6 posts
Save Topic
Boroko Papua new Guine

Dear Freinds

I got a job offer from company situated at boroko. They told me to come with your family. would like to know how safe if i would be there with my family, is there any risk for me and my family over there, what precuation person should take while moving out from the house and office. company is providing every thing except food, could any one help me out about food cost.

Regards

Suru

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boroko Papua new Guine

Hi Vsuru

Security is the most commonly raised question raised about PNG. In general in Port Moresby, whether you can walk from your location in day time depends on where you are, you can't safely walk anywhere at night. Ask your employer what accommodation they provide - I get the impression they are providing accom - and what security arrangements are in place.

Boroko is a suburb of Port Moresby - the main shopping area is located there. As Port Moresby locations go, its relatively good.

Here is some security advice about PNG in general

smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Pap…

Heres some responses to the question about living in Port Moresby with Kids when it was previously raised

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294118-i3593-k367…

Incidentally, CanberraSam who raised these questions brought the kids up and lives in the same compound as me - she doesn't regret her decision at all - there are quite a lot of families with kids in our compound, but we have pretty good security

More comments on this thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294115-i3592-k284…

And this third thread was raised by someone else moving to Boroko with Kids and asking about living costs

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294118-i3593-k309…

Basically the security situation in Port Moresby is much the same now as when these posts were made. Imported goods are a little more expensive.

Now in relation to food costs, are you veg or non-veg? if you shop at Markets (Malaoro is the relatively safe market) you can pick up fruit and veges pretty cheaply. If you shop at supermarkets you will find the imported produce to be fairly expensive. However, rice and fresh and tinned fish are also fairly cheap.

Hope this helps

Cheers skip

Delhi, Louisiana
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boroko Papua new Guine

Hi Skip

Thnak you very much for your reply, wanted to know more, if your can help me, they are giving USD $ 2000 Salary per month excluding food cost, but they dint specify my income has tax on it or not, does i can survive from this salary, I am vegetarian. How much i can save if i hv to incurred only food expenses.

Regards

Vsuru

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boroko Papua new Guine

Some tax information here from PNG Internal Revenue

http://www.irc.gov.pg/income_tax_02.html

USD 24000 pa is about PGK60000 pa

If you buy fruit and veges from markets prices are low (but stick to Malaoro - other markets e.g. Gordons and Koki have high crime rates)

Imported items are more expensive a trolley full of imported items can easily cost PGK500-1000. Basics like rice and sugar are fairly cheap though.

Cheers skip

Delhi, Louisiana
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boroko Papua new Guine

Hi Skip

Thank you, it realy help, one of my freind is working in Lae when he came down to india he told me to come down at papua new guinea his freinds having businsess over there, just want to know it is worth going over there, becuase he told me you can easily save INR 7 Lakh p.a.

Is there any indian community over there, pls help.

Regards

Vsuru

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boroko Papua new Guine

There is a significant number of indian expats working in Port Moresby.

Cheers skip

Delhi, Louisiana
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boroko Papua new Guine

Hi Skip,

You are really doing fantastic job, helping people round the corner,

Thanks buddy,

Warm Regards

Vsuru

Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boroko Papua new Guine

Hi VSuru. I live in Boroko and endorse Skip's comments. K60000 is a local wage though and is not much for an expatriate. I am a middle rank Australian public servant and get paid about 10 times that amount with free house and car.

Security is an issue although not yet for us. Our smallish compound has 4 guards every day, a car outside 24 hours a day and 6 guards at night plus dog. Always drive with your doors locked, don't walk especially at night and avoid anywhere too close to the squatter settlements. Despite the guards we have had 2 carjackings in our street this year.

Delhi, Louisiana
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Boroko Papua new Guine

Hi,

Thank you very much for sharing the information, now i m little bit confuse, should i grab the offer or not. as you mentioned as a expatriate K60000 is not enough, according to you how much i should get?. Please note that i am an accountant by a profeesion.

Regards

Vsuru

Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boroko Papua new Guine

Vsuru, I work for the PNG government in an accounting area. In Australia I would earn PNGK300000 for this kind of work. Here I earn about PNGK 450000 and have a free house and car plus benefits. Whether you want to work here for the price you are being offered is up to you, I don't know your circumstances.

Delhi, Louisiana
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boroko Papua new Guine

Thank you very much, does it matter of qulification also?, because i am commerce graduate and have done diploma in taxation, you must be having higher qulification than me. please reply

Regards

Vsuru