We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working in Port Moresby

Which Port Moresby hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Working in Port Moresby

I have been offered a position in PNG I am from WA and they want me my wife and Son to relocate,just want to hear from any aussies living over there who can offer an opinion.

Port Moresby, Papua...
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Working in Port Moresby

Yasser,

Food is generally expensive. It is mainly imported from overseas, however the local veggies are good and a bit cheaper. If you go to the markets, make sure you go with a very good PNG friend. They will know which markets you can go to with them and which markets you should never go to at all.

Hospitals. My only recommendation these days is Pacific International Hospital (PIH). I had an emergency with my 3 year old child the other day and it was the only Private hospital with an Emergency Department that was open or had a doctor on duty. Apart from that their care was excellent. PIH gets a lot of bad press, but in the last couple of months they stitched up my head (which I managed to crack open) very well and treated my little son extremely well. I have nothing but praise. They are probably the only hospital which can offer almost everything as well (All the good drugs for really serious stuff, heart paddles - for heart attack, X-ray, CT Scan, Operating theatre, optometry, pathology, pharmacy, and a whole host of other services).

May you bring your family? Depends on your contract and where the company is going to house you, but I don't see why not. My 3 year old son was born here in PNG and has only ever left twice for a holiday. Be aware though Moresby doesn't have the freedom you get with other places. You can't freely walk out your front gate and round the block 10 times for exercise, there are no playgrounds to play in etc. If your bringing the family look for a property with a pool and playground in a complex and a place to run around, or look for a house with a yard etc. Be aware though everything will cost you almost twice as much as what you would pay for it in Australia (even household goods and toys). My son is stuck in a third floor, small two bedroom unit with no yard or common area, no pool etc. He only gets to run around inside all day and as a result can't burn off energy and tends to stay up most of the night because he simply can't fall asleep.

Mumbai...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Working in Port Moresby

Dear Sumit,

I'm contemplating a job offer at Port Moresby, please guide as I've heard horrible stories...

Regards/Salil

Mumbai

Port Moresby, Papua...
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Working in Port Moresby

Hi.

I recently arrived to Pom. I am sorry that this beautiful place has such a bad reputation x crime! I am little concerned about security and getting opinions about different experiences. I heard about several car hijack accidents. Since I need to buy a second hand car, is there any advise about which model of vehicle could be "less attractive"?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Working in Port Moresby

Hi Sab,

I know someone who has lived and worked in PNG for over 15 years and is still there.

He would be able to help you with your problem, safety and car.

If you give me your email or number I would be happy to pass it on to him.

Regards scott.

Port Moresby, Papua...
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Working in Port Moresby

Hi Scott,

Thanks x your email.. You can write me to gadogado2009@yahoo.com

Get in touch,

Sab

Cairns
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Working in Port Moresby

Moresby and PNG are only what you make of it! I personally love Moresby- yes is can be dangerous but is also a lot of fun if you get involved in the expatriate lifestyle! Be prepared to party hard!!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Working in Port Moresby

I guess some of you are looking at Port Moresby through rose tinted glasses, and I am guessing from some of the comments that you actually haven't lived there.

I lived in POM from 1994-1999 with 3 young children and a husband. We lived through the Sandline debacle and coup and survived. It was a dangerous place to live then, but I still went to the local markets to buy vegetables every week at Gordons. I also worked as a teacher at Murray International, had a boat and life was good.

It is now 2013 and my children are adults, and hubby is back in POM and has been since April, 2013. I spent 2 months there recently and that was enough for me. The main streets of Moresby are filthy with ankle deep litter in the beginning of the week to thigh high litter piled up in corners in Douglas Street.

Just before I was there a man decapitated his wife in public at Koki Market. 5 Chinese people were stabbed to death in a bakery as some form of pay back. Last week one of my husband's colleagues was held up at gunpoint and car-jacked as he arrived home with his wife. This week it was a friend of ours. Another friend was car-jacked the week before I arrived.

Suffice to say, my husband and I decided it would not be safe for me to live in Moreseby. We now live apart, but would prefer not to. We are a very close couple, but needs are musts. Very few Caucasian families now live in POM. There is a reason for that - the danger. Unfortunately, most of the Papua New Guineans are lovely people and their country is spoilt by this dangerous "raskol" element, but they are an opportunistic bunch and you cannot predict when they will hit and where.

In addition, the price of food in POM is horrendous costing double to triple what it would cost you in any capital city in Australia. Everything is flown in and someone is making a fortune as the middle man in the process. I lived in the United Arab Emirates for 12 years where everything was flown in, and it cost a fraction of the price, and many goods came from Australia, Europe and the States.

Finally, accommodation is ridiculous. A week will cost you 4500 - 6500 kina and for nothing flash.

If you have been offered a job there, make sure that you get offered a damn good salary as you will need it. It is a hardship posting and your salary should reflect that. And if you take the job, all I can say is, "Good Luck!"

On the positive side, you will make good friends, have great dinner parties, and take away some good memories and if you have a boat it will be your sanity.

Caloundra, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Working in Port Moresby

My husband and I are moving to Port Moresby next month can you tell me the better suburbs to live in ?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Working in Port Moresby

There is no one suburb that is considered safer than the next. However, you don't want to go out further than 6 mile going north. If you have children consider where you will be schooling them. If you don't have children consider a place close to your husband's work and weekly shopping facilities.

Traffic jams in the evening going out of the city are horrible, especially on a Friday night. Most of the better restaurants are in the city, so have a look at places to stay like the Ela Beach Hotel apartments, the furnished apartments attached to the Grand Papua Hotel, where my husband stays, which is very safe, or somewhere like Era Dorina which is a large complex of apartments. I would not suggest living in a free-standing house. People living in these often get car-hijacked when entering their properties.

All the best!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Working in Port Moresby

I suggest living either in the "Town" area or in the Airways or Islander compounds.

Personally, I would not live in the Boroko or Gordons area - they used to be popular with expats 20 years ago but are pretty unattractive places now.

The Town area still has safety issues but generally the apartments have a pleasant view!

Make sure your employer is prepared to give you a decent accommodation allowance - you will need to pay at least K3500 PER WEEK (AUD1600) to get in something livable.

I lived in Port Moresby for many years and loved it at the time but it has changed. I left in 2000 but I still visit regularly and I always have a great time when I am there - but to me it is not the place it once was.