We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How the hell do I get there?!

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
How the hell do I get there?!

I'm planning an adventure of a lifetime for my 40th in 18 months time and want to specifically go somewhere completely off the beaten track. I'm having trouble finding flights from the UK to Rep of Kiribati. Has anyone done this trip before anid if so can you advise me what your travel route was to get there. My first thought is a flight to NZ or Sydney, Aus and then one from there but if you are aware of a more direct flight that would be great!

17 replies to this topic
Pohnpei, Federated...
Level Contributor
15 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How the hell do I get there?!

Update- 2 hour trip accross went fine, was informed two days before that departure time from Majuro would be an hour later at 6am rather than 5. Got breakfast from the little shop at airport that opened just before we went through security. $2.50 for fried eggs, spam and pancakes on a takeaway plate. Donire nice and comfy 18 seater, single seats on each side with aisle in the middle, big windows good for taking pictures of amazing atolls one flies over.

But my return scheduled for April 2nd was cancelled. As was the Air Pacific flights (another story - Nadi floods). They let me know a week in advance.

"Sorry, we wont be able the to do the April 2 scheduled flight, due to

mechanical problem on the Donire. We are now waiting for part order off

islands. The next schedule flight will be April 16. Have rebooked you for this

flight. As long as you have the original ticket with you, you may either refund or re issue within a year from the date of issuance. So sorry for this inconvenience." Correct email is amisales@ntamar.net

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
102 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How the hell do I get there?!

I really appreciate your detailed information- so rare to find such helpful details! I'm also sorry to hear that you were stuck for two weeks- how did everything work out?

Tarawa Atoll...
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: How the hell do I get there?!

Im from Kiribati and I think that the best route to Kiribati is via Fiji (Air Pacific) ... You just need to find a flight route to Fiji then you're one flight away from Kiribati.

Tarawa Atoll...
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: How the hell do I get there?!

You might find this website useful

http://www.tobaraoi.com/

Good luck and hope to see you here in Kiribati.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: How the hell do I get there?!

When I was there a few years ago, you could fly in weekly from Hawaii to Christmas Island. Or from Fiji and a few other spots into Tarawa. Most of the rest of the islands you had to reach by freighter. (I saw two this way, and it was quite wonderful.) There's not much written about the country, but the people are so kind and welcoming. I'd highly recommend visiting.

Also, on a quick search, I noticed this short story. It's just a sliver, but it offers one of many ideas of the place. You'd certainly have to go to know!

thecommononline.org/dispatches/clinging-tree…

Yardley...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How the hell do I get there?!

Before you go, you should read the book, "Sex lives of Cannibals" by Troost. It's not about sex or cannibals, but a great read about Kiribati. Better hurry, with rising seas, it may not be here for long.

submarineaz
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: How the hell do I get there?!

pshaw, when I was there in 2011 I compared photographs from 73 years ago and at the rate the sea is rising our children's children's children's children's children's children's children's children will be dead before it's swallowed up. Can't wait to return!

Reply to: How the hell do I get there?!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Republic of Kiribati