We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we visit New Caledonia?

Heg
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Should we visit New Caledonia?

Hi

We are a couple in our late 30's who love scuba diving. We have been to most of the South Pacific but to date have avoided NC because of reports that it is sooooo expensive. Can anyone advise us otherwise? We prefer smaller resorts to huge hotels but the diving looks so good that we are really tempted to visit. We would like to be near town so that we can self cater if we need to or eat out at the cheaper roulettes. Any advice greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Jo

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we visit New Caledonia?

Hello Heg - if diving is your thing and you know there is great diving there then don't let the expense be your main issue. We self catered and it was expensive - even after shopping at the proper supermarkets as opposed to the corner store type shops.

You can still eat fairly well and cheaply though even at some of the local restaurants - just not the very good ones! Maybe try to get a deal where breakfast is included, that would be a good cost saver as you could fill up for the rest of the day.

The best part of our trip was the day out on the water and going to Armidee Island so yes, go for the diving.

Heg
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we visit New Caledonia?

Thanks for that. The diving looks amazing and we would hope to do at least two dives per day. Was just online looking at Tieti Beach resort (eastern part of island) or The Lagon. Two very different settings. Where did you stay and who did you dive with? Any advice would be very welcome.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we visit New Caledonia?

Sorry I don't dive - you can see my travel report if you click on my name. We did not love Noumea but then, if we went for the diving, I'm sure we would have. We were just bored there. The wind blew cool in the afternoon and the pool where we stayed was too cold to swim (we did anyway).

I just wouldn't want to put you off a wonderful diving holiday by my experience.

4. Re: Should we visit New Caledonia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 12:28