We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report from one week visit

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report from one week visit

Hi from New Zealand.

We have just returned from a magnificent week in Noumea. My wife and I and our 22 year old son travelled together. we stayed at LeStanely Hotel. It is situted right on the water with its own private jetty and swimming pool.

We hired a car from Euro Car. excellent service from Euro car along with excellent directions.

we arrived on Saturday 10 am so a little exploring before finding the hotel. Sunday was also exploring, shopping etc.

Monday moring I was booked in with Abyss Plongee. their directions to find them was difficult to understand, but once sorted (on the Sunday) i arrived there at 7.15. I was booked in to do two dives and back agaon by midday. the first dive was to 20 m outside the reef at the entrance, then the second dive was to 14 m inside the reef. just like swimming in a gold fish pond. the fish were beutiful and coral out standing. Abyss plongee are very professional operators, their boat is only 1 month old, but absolutely no shortcuts, and were very well organised with safety first.

We dined at LeRoof. now the french certainly know how to cook, the food was delishious., the entertainment they had no control over was the dolphin, that chased fish beneath retaurant for well over an hour. every table has a balcony overlooking the water and with lights showing into he water, fish are attracted.

We visted the Tjibaou cultural center. the arcitecture was amazing, I have never seen a building like this, and to fully understand the purpose of the design is still a challenge to me.

I found shopping in Noumea, a plesure. there was never any pressure to buy anything, and there was never goods being peddaled to us as if we (tourists) are some kind of cash cow to be milked. it was truly a pleasure.

we taken a drive north to La Foa which is 111 kilometres out of Noumea. the roads are in excelletn condition, and drivers some of the best in the world, no impatients, tooting or anything.

I would recomend to anyone wanting an interesting holiday, where french is the main language, the weater is warm , but not too hot and not too humid.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report from one week visit

I loved your trip report.

Good to see that someone has "experienced" & enjoyed what Noumea has to offer as a holiday destination rather than a 1 day stopover.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report from one week visit

I forgot to mention a day trip to Amadee Island with mary D cruises. the day starts at 8 am when you board the boat, then 45 min to Amadee island, time for a swim, and a visit to the light house (230 steps) to the top and viewing platform. time then for the glass bottom boat experience checking out fish and turtles. then a cruise out to the outer reef checking out more fish and a different view of the island, then 'Lunch' that is what we were expecting, but it was a cultural feast and entertainment more like a caberet' the food was aboluetly wonderful with sea food to die for. value t=for money at $200pp New Zealand as we didnt need to dine out that evening as we had eaten so much. their web site is

http://www.amedeeisland.com/

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report from one week visit

Hi just wondering whether you heard / experienced anything related to the danguee fever outbreaks that have been warned against? Did you and your family take any special precautions whilst you were there.

I am heading there in a week's time and am a little frightened at what I have been reading about dangue fever.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report from one week visit

Having travelled many parts of teh world now, i found food in Noumea to be of the very highest order, the french certainly know how to cook.

Even further out of town we were not aware of any warnings.

We taken no special precautions at all, ate at restaurants and markets.

I hope you too have a marvelous holiday there. How long do you intend staying?

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report from one week visit

Well that's a relief to hear!

I'm staying 6 nights at Le Meridien.

Toulouse, France
Destination Expert
for New Caledonia
Level Contributor
833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report from one week visit

Hello,

Dengue is a disease transmitted by bites from a specific species of mosquitoes (you can recognize them to their white and black stripped legs and body)... but not by food! Symptoms are similar to flu ones (fever, muscular pain... during one week or so). It is of course not the best way to spend your holidays, but you won't die of it.

Repellent is the simplest and most efficient way to protect yourself. Also note that you must not take Aspirin if you have the previous symptoms, as it may lead to hemorrhages (but paracetamol and ibuprofene are fine).

Some information in French (NC Gov't Health Dept): dass.gouv.nc/portal/page/portal/dass/alertes

7. Re: Trip report from one week visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Noumea