We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Go & What to do in Noumea

Which Noumea hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Charlotte...
7 posts
Save Topic
Where to Go & What to do in Noumea

My wife and I will be arriving in Noumea by cruise ship on October 23rd, for one day. We tried to hire a tour but were unsuccessful. Please help us with information on where to go and what to do during our one day visit. We would like to visit the beaches and swim or snorkel if possible, and any information you can share about shopping would all be greatly appreciated

Thanking you in advance

Jim & Jackie Walsh

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
5,533 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Go & What to do in Noumea

At the terminal where the ship docks there will be a number of operators offering tours, including the hop on hop off shuttle which I think was only about $5 aud each when we were there mid year. You can use this to go to beaches such as Bai de citrons (lemon bay beach) and Anse Vata etc.

The tour operators will give more info if you buy the tickets from them. From Anse Vata beach you should be able to get a water taxi to duck island which has good snorkelling.

Unlike Port Vila the shopping at Noumea other than a bit of a market at the terminal is nothing special. Most of the shops shut for about two hours around mid day and on Sundays there would be little open.

Just be aware of the time you are required to be back on board though and make certain you are close to the ship before boarding time.

On the cruises we have done that have stopped at Noumea you would be surprised at the number of passengers that have made it back on board just in the nick of time. We have heard of stories about passengers touring independently being delayed only to see the ship in the harbor heading for its next port.

Whatever you do make certain you allow plenty of time to return to the ship.

Enjoy your cruise and if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Manjimup, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Go & What to do in Noumea

Hi Famrick

Myself & family will be first time cruisers, also heading to Noumea (& Isle of Pines) for one day stops each on the 8th & 9th October. I have read before in travel mags that it's expensive to book a tour on board cruise ships (in our case Rhapsody of the Seas) ?

Rather than beaches, snorkelling or swimming we would rather see the local buildings/history/people etc, any recommendations? (The hop on hop off shuttle sounds interesting)

Also, sorry to bombard you with questions... should I bother taking local currency or wing it with my credit card/AUD's?

And my husband has recently been warned about sorting out our Tips when we check in to our cruise?? Can you enlighten me on the politics here? He has been told passengers have found they have an extra amount lumped on top of their onboard account for tips unbeknown to them when checking out?

Many thanks

Karen

Port Charlotte...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Go & What to do in Noumea

Each cruise ship line treat tipping differently. If you do not agree with how much and to who your tip is going to, you can always go to the front desk and make a change either giving more or less or nothing, It is YOUR choice

Jim * Jackie Walsh

Port Charlotte...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Go & What to do in Noumea

Hi Famrick

Thank you, Thank you for your information and insight

Jim & Jackie Walsh

Manjimup, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Go & What to do in Noumea

Thanks Jim

I'm also unsure of whether to purchase a travel card before we go & load with US$ to pay for onboard extra's (and possibly Noumea/Isle of Pines expenses too) or just take my existing visa debit card.

Port Charlotte...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Go & What to do in Noumea

Thank you for your response. Your points are well received; I too have seen people on the dock, as the ship clears the harbor. I truly hope and will insure we are not these people!!

Thanks again

Jim & Jackie

Edited: 18 September 2013, 02:12
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
5,533 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Go & What to do in Noumea

Having cruised with P&O and princess where tipping is not required it will be a new experience when we travel on one of the RCI ships in April where tipping is compulsory. The deal we have includes tips and gratuities as part of the fare so we will see how it works out.

Shore excursions booked through the ship are generally more expensive as against independent touring. However if you planned to do a full day excursion I would opt for one offered by the cruise ship done this way if something happens delaying getting back, the ship is notified and held until you are able to return on board.

I would not be too concerned about taking local currency with you when visiting New Caledonia you will likely be able to purchase central pacific francs from the ships reception or alternatively the is currency exchange facilities at the cruise terminal at Noumea.

At the isle de pins Aussie $ are generally accepted there. This island is a little piece of paradise I never get tired of, there will be little offered in the way of shore excursions however near the sacred rock on kanumera bay there is good snorkelling just off the beach. The beach on Kuta bay has some restaurants and souvenir shops as well as good swimming natives will also set up some food and market stalls. Both bays are with in a few minutes walk from the jetty where the tenders take you.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

australia
Level Contributor
357 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Go & What to do in Noumea

Hi itchyfeet1265

We are on the same cruise your fare included tips as in dining room, cabin steward as it is a Charter However if ordering drinks and cabin service after a certain time at night there would be additional charge/tips

perhaps you need to read the documents prvided with your tickets

try this web site for noumea

www.noumea-shore-tours.nc/noumea_tour.php

https://www.facebook.com/shoretours.noumea

also the ATM at the shore terminal if you have a mastercard/visa debit arrangement with your bank

you will be able to get the local currency

e.g To see Aquarium you need local currency

http://www.aquarium.nc/en/

Adults: 1000 xpf

Children: 500 xpf

Package (2 adults and up to 3 children): 2000 xpf

Concession* (60+): 750 xpf

Edited: 01 October 2013, 05:34
australia
Level Contributor
357 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Go & What to do in Noumea

Re itchyfeet1265

I was unsure why you would need to purchase a travel card and load up with USD's

The brochure "What to know before you go" section - General Money matters - should explain your options.

Noumea, New...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Go & What to do in Noumea

Hi everyone, i'm living in new caledonia and i'm working in the ship terminal for almost 3 years now , first i would like to reassure you, any tourist had been forget here at least for the last 3 years, lots of rumors!! keep in mind that the ship try to sell you their tours , and they are 3 times more expensive then in the ship terminal !! if you want any tips , i recommend the "cultural center" & zoo with the botanic garden , and the countryside, where you can see the mountain of new caledonian!! it's magic ;) so any help any question feel free to ask !!

Edited: 13 November 2013, 04:53
Get answers to your questions about Noumea