We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experiencing the culture

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Experiencing the culture

Hi all!

My partner and I are heading to Niue in September this year for a week and I would really love to experience some of the culture and traditional activities on the island.

Can anyone recommend things to do/places to go for cultural activities - like the basket weaving? When are the market days on Niue? Are there any festivals/celebrations on from 7 - 14 September?

We've booked in to do some diving and will take our snorkeling gear but would be great to get to know some of the people there also.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experiencing the culture

If you haven't already ordered a map of Niue from Jasons, this link may be helpful - www.jasons.com/guides/south-pacific#guide45

The Huanaki Cultural Centre in Alofi would be one place to start to learn more about cultural activities.

I'm sure that you will get to know many people on Niue. Being a small island, you will encounter people easily. I loved my visit to Niue, and found the people very friendly and interested in taking the time of day to stop and chat.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experiencing the culture

Hi annaconda

I don't know if you've come across these sites which give quite a lot of information. It looks as though there are a couple of fishing competitions in September.

There are also contact addresses so you could ask them direct about markets etc if you don't get any replies here.

http://www.niueisland.com/

www.niuetotal.com/diverse-visas-ing.htm

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experiencing the culture

For handcrafts, check the Makini Hall in Alofi to see whether the women's group meet there on Wednesdays to do weaving and other craft-work.

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experiencing the culture

And you might experience this whilst on Niue. A lovely article I think.

www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm…

Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experiencing the culture

I am kicking myself I missed out on the hair cutting ceremonies. It's on the to do list next trip, I recommended to check out the boys hair cutting ceremony.

Nat

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experiencing the culture

I've just arrived back from Niue today, so can give you some up-to-date information.

Market days are Tuesdays and Fridays, but I found them to be rather disappointing, not a lot being sold there.

The tourist office gives out a very useful pamphlet at the airport when you arrive. That lists the women's weaving groups, but it's best to check with the tourist office as to which ones are actually on, as for some of them it depends on whether they've got a village show day coming up. The group at Makini Hall in Alofi on Wednesdays is a reliable regular one apparently. I also went to the Peniamina group in Makefu, whose regular time is Tuesday mornings, but they stayed open well into the afternoon, and also opened on Thursday. Both these groups have a display room where they have items for sale. I also went to another group in Alofi on a Tuesday, which didn't have work for sale, but did have fresh cucumbers (useful if you're self-catering).

I was lucky enough to see a hair cutting ceremony, but this is a pretty rare event on an island with a population of 1400 people.

It's very easy to strike up a conversation with people. It's a bit like a country town, people wave at others and say hello, so if you see someone doing something interesting like hauling a traditional canoe ashore, just say hello, and start talking with them.

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experiencing the culture

Hi Selsy

Thanks for that information - have yet to get to Niue - hopefully next year.

Where did you stay? Hopefully you'll do some accommodation/restaurant reviews.

I have read that the extension to the Matavai Resort has just opened. Did you see it? And apparently there are extra accommodation choices in the pipeline which may lead to 2 flights a week.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experiencing the culture

I'm going to get around to a few reviews over the next couple of weeks, for things to do and restaurants. I'm not going to do an accommodation review, because it's a bit difficult. It was pretty good, but there's just a couple of things to be aware of, and it's a bit hard to put that out there with an arbitrary rating. I'm happy to answer questions by personal message, and also share what I learnt about various other options on Niue.

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Experiencing the culture

Thanks, Selsy

Have sent you a PM.

10. Re: Experiencing the culture

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Niue