We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet?

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
429 reviews
Save Topic
Internet?

I have read that Vodafone or Telecom nz roaming does not work in Niue and we need to purchase a sim card for telecom niue?

what are the costs for a sim card to text nz? or data use? What about wifi? Ive read conflicting info here. It appears you need to register your device with rocket cafe in Niue,at a charge to be able to use the wifi. Is Matavai resort satelite internet reliable and working? As I read some reviews which say that no longer have wifi working. Im not a interrnet freak, but are leaving our kids at home so its needed to correspond with them and the caregivers.

Alofi, Niue
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet?

Fakaalofa Lahi Atu,

You are correct it saying that Vodafone and Telecom NZ Roaming does NOT work in Niue. You will be required to purchase a Sim Card from Telecom Niue which will cost you $10 NZD. It costs $ . 17c Per text to NZ and $1.13 a minute to call NZ. Top ups can only be purchased from Telecom Niue so best to do top up once you have purchased your sim card.

In regards to WiFi, I have been in contact with the team down at Matavai and they have informed me that the internet has been down as they are currently trying to update their WiFi system (satellite). Once the system has been completely updated you can connect to their WiFi but first have to pay a $30 connection fee and you will then be given a Password to allow you limitless access to WiFi for the duration of your stay. If Matavai's WiFi system is still down you can connect to the WiFi in the main village of Alofi, again with a connection fee of $25.

I sincerely hope that this information has been of some assistance to you.

Kindest Regards,

- Micah Fuhiniu - Niue Tourism

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet?

Thats awesome thanks. Any idea when the Matavai update complete? I think its been down for a while now, so I expect it wont be up in the next few weeks? SO, am I correct in stating that I can only get wifi in the village and only once I have purchased connection fee. Or can I get the village wifi reception at Matavai as well?

Alofi, Niue
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet?

You are most welcome. Matavai did not indicate when their WiFi system will be back up and running but to be on the safe side most likely wont be within the next few weeks as the main satellite needs to be changed out. You might only be able to connect to the Village WiFi of course only after paying the connection fee. The Village WiFi does not reach the resort and you will have to be within the main village if not very close to the main access point within the village to get clear WiFi connection.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Bastrop
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet?

I have apple 4s will it work on island? Or do I need a global apple phone from att?

Do any cell phones work on island ?

If I bring iPad and stay at a guest house do I need to go to Internet cafe in Adolfi to get wi fi and use or upload videos or pictures

I want to stay a month or two months where is the least expensive accommodations self catering and possibly be able to use wi fi

What about short wave radio? Does that work on the island ?

Vienna
Level Contributor
47 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet?

Kai Ika has the strongest internet connection we've come across. Kill two birds with one stone. The food there is superb.

6. Re: Internet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2016, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Niue