We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite ways to spend offgassing days?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite ways to spend offgassing days?

My husband and I headed to Palau for 8 days in December, and already have 5 days of diving scheduled with Fish n' Fins. We're big scuba divers, but also enjoy hiking, kayaking, photography, and snorkelling.

We're wondering what the best non-diving trips are, and how many days we should leave for those? Is a day driving trip around Babeldaob worth it, or will we be disappointed we missed a day on the water? Any other specific day-trips by Sam's or Fish n' Fins recommended? Mandarin fish lake or any caves? Risong Bay? Spend a day snorkelling and chilling out at PPR? (We're staying at Carolines)

So much to see, so little time!

Thanks.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite ways to spend offgassing days?

Definitely spend at least one day kayaking and snorkeling with Sam's. I usually spend the last day just relaxing at the PPR. I enjoyed driving around Babeldaob, but I didn't do that until I had visited Palau around 6 times previously. I'm not sure you'll want to spend a day doing it on your first trip. You'll also want to visit Jellyfish Lake, although that may be on one of your dive days. You may want to take it easy on the first day you're there and just do things like visit the museum, etc.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite ways to spend offgassing days?

eerickso, Thanks for the advice. It follows what I'm thinking, except that on the first day I know we're gonna want to get our Nitrogen fix!!! A day at PPR and a day kayaking will be great. We hope that we'll be able to snorkel Jellyfish Lake in conjunction with a 2 tank dive day.

Have you ever done a Peleliu tour? If so, any recommendations who to go through, or is it too much travel for a land-based dive trip?

Domo (thanks) from Japan!

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite ways to spend offgassing days?

After I responded I realized that you won't be dealing with the massive case of jet lag I normally experience flying to Palau from the US east coast, so I understand what you're saying about diving on that first day. (Even in my jet lagged state, I've often managed to dive on the first day.)

As far as Peleliu, I did do and the tour and do recommend it, but I went when I was on a liveaboard so can't really recommend anyone in particular. You may want to check with Fish n' Fins or Sam's and see what they suggest. The diving there also is terrific and worth the trip.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite ways to spend offgassing days?

Thanks again, I'm even more excited!

5. Re: Favorite ways to spend offgassing days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 13:15