We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liveaboard or stay at a hotel in Palau

Which Koror hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Liveaboard or stay at a hotel in Palau

Hi,

I'm planning a tip to Palau this Christmas. Is there anyone who could recommend me whether I should choose to stay at a hotel or liveaboard at Palau?

Thanks a lot

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liveaboard or stay at a hotel in Palau

My favorite trips to Palau have been those in which I've stayed a couple days on each end of the trip on land, but done most of the diving on a liveaboard. The boat rides are long, and can either be a pleasant trek through the Rock Islands, or a grueling trip through swells and rain depending on what kind of weather you hit. I also recommend a day of kayaking and snorkeling in the Rock Islands.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liveaboard or stay at a hotel in Palau

Thank you very much. That sounds like a really good plan. Is there any liveaboard you would recommend? I've searched and found that there are about 3 livaboards: Aggressor, Big Blue Explorer and Ocean Hunter. Which of these would be a better choice?

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liveaboard or stay at a hotel in Palau

I don't think you can go wrong with any one of the three. I've been on the Aggressor three times and although I've not been on the other two I've heard good things about them from folks who have. You may want to check out the travel forum on scubadiving.com to see if anyone has any recent feedback on them.

Either way, it should be a great trip! (Planet Blue/Sam's is great for the kayak tours.)

SC
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liveaboard or stay at a hotel in Palau

My husband and I have stayed on the Ocean Hunter I and Ocean Hunter 2 and enjoyed both trips. The owners, Tova and Navot Bornovski, are wonderful people.

On land, we stayed at the Palau Pacific Hotel which is beautiful. We heard good things about Hotel Caroline, also, although it is not on the ocean.

The good dive sites are quite a long ride from shore. If you want to do a lot of diving, stay on a live aboard.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liveaboard or stay at a hotel in Palau

Agree with the post above about the hotels. The Palau Pacific and the Carolines are my two favorite places to stay. At the Carolines you have your own private bungalow up on a hill overlooking the Rock Islands and can use all the facilities at the Palau Pacific.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liveaboard or stay at a hotel in Palau

Thank you so much everyone, I've just decided to book ECO Exploror trip from 1st - 8th Dec. Apparently it's the only liveaboard that is still available. I'm planning to stay 4 more days in Palau (leaving Palau the following Wed 12th) Could you please advice me on the program I should arrange from Sat afternoon until Tue? Which land/kayak tour would you recommend?

Thanks so much

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liveaboard or stay at a hotel in Palau

I'd get in touch with Sam's Tours (http://www.samstours.com/). They have a number of great kayak and snorkeling trips as well as a Rock Island tour and land tours. They run an excellent operation.

Have a great time!

8. Re: Liveaboard or stay at a hotel in Palau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2008, 12:19
9. Re: Liveaboard or stay at a hotel in Palau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Koror