We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palau weather

Seattle
Level Contributor
79 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Palau weather

Hi all, I am hoping someone who lives in Palau can tell me what the weather is like in August/September? I am reading that it can be quite rainy, so we are rethinking our plans. Some rain is fine (we live in Seattle!), but does it rain all day or just showers for an hour or two? Does the potential for wind during this time period affect the ablitiy to go to certain dive sites? Thank you!

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palau weather

I have been out to Palau 3 times at that time of the year for diving and have never had non-stop rain or wind. The weather is always hot and fairly humid tere, occasionally, if you are unlucky you may get a day where it rains non-stop, but more usually it is showers that blow through fairly quickly.

The wind can affect Blue Corner, Blue Holes etc as they are on the outside of the reef, but it is normally only for one day and you can ususally go out another day. There is always somewhere great to dive as there are so many sites and the majority of them are inside the islands and more protected.

The only sites you may not be able to do are on Peliliu, due to the reasonably long trip over.

I definitely would not be put off going at that time of the year, you can get the rain showers anytime through the year really.

I hope you have a good trip, it is a fabulous place to visit and dive.

Seattle
Level Contributor
79 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palau weather

Your detailed response is much appreciated! Since you have been there three times, any must do's or see's while we are there? Your top picks for dive sites there? Thanks again! --Laura

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,258 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palau weather

The good thing about Palau is that it doesn't get typhoons -- because the typhoons are created there! Life under the sea should be operating as normal.

It just gets a bit cold on the boats, so be sure to wear a fleece and a windbreaker / rain jacket.

All the dive companies will take you to the best spots and must-see's. German Channel, Ulong Channel, Blue Corner, and Blue Holes are very popular and you can go time and again and see something different each time. A trip to the Rock Islands and Jellyfish Lake are a must. Since you won't be able to dive on the last day before your flight, you might consider a kayak tour. Lots of paddling and snorkeling!

FYI, here's a list of dive sites.

http://www.samstours.com/divemaps.html

Have fun!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palau weather

Hi , I have never been to Palau but I am very familiar with Tropical

locations.The rain in Palau is not the same as in Seattle ( I have family in Vancouver ). When it rains in the tropics it is no big deal and the temperature will not go down.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palau weather

Mamajelli lists a lot of the great dive stes in Palau. Other good ones are Saies Corner, Saies Tunnel, Big Drop Off, New Drop Off and Ngemelis Wall. A lot of the dive sites are huge walls, so you can pick what depth you want and enjoy the dive. A lot of the best colour is in the top 15m, so if you don't want to go deep, you don't have too, but will still have fabulous dives.

Some of the wrecks are great too the Iro is fantastic and Jake's Seaplane lovely for a last dive. Also if you get a chance to do Chandelier Caves definitely do it. If you dive with Sam's Tours it is just across the bay and perfect for a 3rd dive, you can also look for Mandarinfish in the rocks outside the caves afterwards.

And again as Mamajelli says the kayak tours are great, you also will get to see some of the rock islands a bit better and some of th remains from the Japanese.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
8 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palau weather

we want to go to Palau in June. Is this aggod time? should we wait a month or so?

Canton of Zurich...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palau weather

do you know anything about tiger island and an ecoresort called macan? thanks raffaella

Londra
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palau weather

We are thinking of going back to Palau this year, in mid october - probably useless question but how would usually the weather be and mostly, the water temperature?

we have been there before, in 2005 - in February and the weather was perfect. the diving was amazing, the best we have ever done, so we're consdiering going backl for more!

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
177 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palau weather

Hi Federilli!

We've been twice to Palau in Autumn - in September (bit rainy & 2 days windy but water temperature never under 28°) and end of October (perfect weather, about 29-30° water-temperature).

We are going again 2 weeks from 19th October and looking very much forward - Palau is just amazing!

niknak

Londra
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palau weather

Great thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Koror