We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety- traveling alone- diving with samstours

New York
Level Contributor
185 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
safety- traveling alone- diving with samstours

My adult son is going to Palau alone on a dive trip with Sam's tours- Worried about two things: the diving (of course) and the safety staying alone on Palau- he is choosing the cheapest accommodation- DW motel and I am thinking it would be safer to stay in a hotel with a common area (the motel is just rooms)

Hate the idea of him traveling alone and wanted to get some opinions- is this an unreasonably safe thing to do- to travel to this part of the world alone? Is there a better hotel choice that is central?

Also was wondering if anyone heard anything recently about the 6 detainees released from Guantanomo Bay still living on Koror

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: safety- traveling alone- diving with samstours

Your son will LOVE it! You should go with him!!! :-)

As for the "detainees" -- they are Chinese Muslims who were in Guatanamo -- because they were Muslims. The US asked Palau to take them in as they would be safer in Palau than if they were returned to China. They are the "Uighurs" (pronounced Wee-guhl) whose only sin is to be of a minority group in China.

They would love to go home. But can't. Not sure if they've learned to dive yet -- as that would be their saving grace!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8336343.stm

huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/12/palau-uighurs-…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyghur_people

Hope this will ease your mind.

Cheers......

Chicao, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety- traveling alone- diving with samstours

Traveling alone is probably the best way to travel. If your adult son is mature enough then he should be able to take care of himself. People in Palau are nice and the town is pretty tame, actually kinda boring not much to do as far as nightlife. The people speak English and the US dollar is accepted everywhere.

As for the diving, it's amazing. I did a liveaboard so I was pampered. If your really worried then give your son some money and send him on a liveaboard. Can't really get into too much trouble on a boat.

hawaii
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: safety- traveling alone- diving with samstours

nflor001, I read that you did a liveaboard in Palau and was just curious as to which one you went on. I'm thinking of going there by myself and just trying to figure out which liveaboard was the best

4. Re: safety- traveling alone- diving with samstours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Koror