We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish Lake - tours all days of the week?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
529 reviews
Save Topic
Jellyfish Lake - tours all days of the week?

Hello...I was wondering if there are any days of the week in which Jellyfish Lake cannot be accessed through a tour?

I will be there in the last week of July or first week of August for a few days, and want to make sure I can book this tour.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Jellyfish Lake
Jellyfish Lake
1,155 Reviews
Koror Island, Palau
ParkerPalau
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish Lake - tours all days of the week?

The Jellyfish lake is open everyday for the tours. But just to let you know in advance that as of June 2012 The State Permit fee(Entrance fee) will increase from $35 to $100. Evan though the price will go up still you should go. It is trully amazing!

Mentioned in this post
Jellyfish Lake
Jellyfish Lake
1,155 Reviews
Koror Island, Palau
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish Lake - tours all days of the week?

Hello! Thanks for the info. Wow, that's a 185% increase in the sate permit fee. That's really abusive. It already costs so much to fly there and stay in a modest hotel. I'll be honest, that has me considering traveling somewhere else.

I'm assuming tourists have to pay an additional fee to a tour company to take us to the lake, in addition to the permit?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish Lake - tours all days of the week?

The permit is good for 10 days, but what percentage of tourists are going there more than once? If the Koror State had any regard for tourists, they would give permit duration options. For instance, why not have a 1 or 3 day permit option for $50 or less? I realize funds are needed for things like preservation, but this kind of increase sends the message that tourists are not welcome. In fact, the State is quoted as saying the increase was implemented in part to "better control the number of visitors." [Note, there are other jellyfish lakes in Palau....I believe about a half dozen. This is the only one open to the public].

Koror State.....let me help you reduce tourism. Let it be known that this is not the only country with a non-stinging jellyfish lake open to tourists. There is the lesser known (because it wasn't featured on Survivor) jellyfish lake at Kakaban Island, part of the Derawan Islands, East Kalimantan, Indonesia.

Mentioned in this post
Koror
Koror
Koror Island, Palau
Palau
Palau
South Pacific
Vallentuna, Sweden
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish Lake - tours all days of the week?

Jellfish lake is nothing of special, it don't worth the permit tax and the cost of the tour too. Is better to spend the money for diving.

In my opinion Palau is trying to attract only rich tourists, all the permission rise up, the departure tax too, now is $50. A tourist that want dive for a month have to pay 3 times the diving tax and another tax if he want to dive to Peleliu too. Palau is all a tax!!!

The taxi have different cost for local and tourist. As tourist you must pay 3x more for the fare. Same story for the diving cost.

You can't fish from the shore even if you have a fishing permit. Only from boat so the lazy palauan can sell you a expansive fishing trip and can invite some friend to fishing for free .

There is a tax for ALL. As you can see on www.cia.gov

"The government is the major employer of the work force relying heavily on financial assistance from the US.". They have big money from Taiwan too, because Taiwan can fish in his sea. Palawan don't like to work and fish too.

They have not a realy economy, most of people are public employees that play with computer and chewing betel nuts all day long and when you go there for something you must wait them that finish to play before asking you what you need and maybe at the end you can have your visa with some red spittle on it. They don't like to work, they only wait the end of work for go with them old "fast & furious" cars with high music to a bai (open meeting house) drinking beers and smoking marijuana.

The only good news is that Palau have a new president, maybe he will be more clever than the old one and in January/Febrary we can have some good surprise.

Mentioned in this post
Palau
Palau
South Pacific
Peleliu
Peleliu
40 Reviews
Palau
Palawan Island
Palawan Island
Palawan Province, Philippines
Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
245 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish Lake - tours all days of the week?

If not mistaken it attracts a bunch of Korean and Japanese tourist which have the money to burn. Unfortunately, the souls in nearby Guam are priced out and anywhere else in the US is too far of a flight not to drop serious cash or consider it an economical short trip.

Mentioned in this post
Guam
Guam
Mariana Islands
Gulfport...
Level Contributor
209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish Lake - tours all days of the week?

I find it distressing that Palau has implemented what seems to be very expensive/costly permits to visit Jellyfish Lake. The recent rise in departure taxes are also counter productive to theTourism Industry. Reasonable charges are to be expected and encourage protection of the environment, but these excessive charges are not justified.

Papa Mike

Papa Mike's Palau Islands Handbook

Mentioned in this post
Palau
Palau
South Pacific
Jellyfish Lake
Jellyfish Lake
1,155 Reviews
Koror Island, Palau
7. Re: Jellyfish Lake - tours all days of the week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Koror
Recent Conversations