We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samoan Markets

Tasmania
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Samoan Markets

Can anyone tell me if the markets in Apia are on certain days, or are they markets which happen every day? Are they large markets, or just fruit and vegetable type markets?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Lyn

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samoan Markets

Hi there

There are two main markets in Apia. The Maketi Fou (Food Market) is near the bus station and is open pretty much all day every day. Some people even sleep there to make sure they get the best spots!

It has a lot of produce, but quite a few stalls with crafts, and a large part where you can buy something to eat. Think Foodcourt Samoan Stylez!! It's definitely worth a visit, just take a long slow walk around and enjoy the sights, sounds and smells. I am not sure if it's closed on Sunday - it might be.

The other market is the Flea Market, and it has many MANY stalls of crafts, t-shirts, carvings ... you name it, you can probably buy it here. It's at the end of town furtherest away from Aggie Grey's Hotel, on the main street. It is open until around midday on Saturday, and I am pretty sure it is shut on Sunday. Not much happens in Samoa on Sunday. It also has quite a large area at the back where you can buy food and sit down etc.

I love the markets - you can find some really cute bargains, and some lovely crafts. Have fun!!

2. Re: Samoan Markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 09:20