We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samoa questions

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
557 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Samoa questions

Hi fellas,

my departure for Samoa is ticking away and after reading a guide i have a few question:

1) Generally, do i have to pre-book fale accomodation in advance? Can i just show up? I know its matter of occupancy, but i wanna decide on the spot if its not ok ill get on. Moreover i really dont desire to pay someone commission [hidden in the price] only for booking. I intend to act directly.

2) Which fales would you recommend on Lalomanu beach. I have read some reviews in a guidebook and Taufua Fales are highly written up (even at any cost). Is it really so worth?

3) With which fales (namely) all around Samoa you have bad experience, if so? Please for unbiased opinion... Ill try to catch as much as possible once in Samoa and so what to avoid?

4) How to get to Manono isl.? What place on Upolu does the ferry depart from?

5) last maybe stupid question, i am arriving in Samoa in the beginning of September. I have not prebooked the first night accomodation yet because every hotel or hostel in Apia requires a advanced deposit. Is risking of not prebooking anything in advance and finding acomodation blindly too risky? Considering the games end around that time, festival time and so... Note: I dont posses credit card....:(

thanks guys

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samoa questions

Hi there

Re pre-booking ... because of the time you are coming to Samoa, you will be taking a risk that you might not be able to get into the properties you want. So that is up to you. Good luck with it! If you book directly with the property, you won't pay any commissions etc. They don't charge extra for pre-booking. That will only usually happen if you book through a travel agent. So book direct if you are going to book at all.

Lalomanu Beach ... there are two properties right on the beach, Taufua Beach Fales and Litia Sini. Really, they are on exactly the same part of the beach, so it depends what sort of accommodation you want. Do you want a lockable fale? Then go to Litia Sini. Do you want a more laid back and relaxed style with a completely open fale? Then go to Taufua. Both are extremely inexpensive - the cost is not huge! It is very cheap and well worth it.

Most of the fales all around Samoa are very similar ... but what others don't like, you may find charming, and vice versa. There are no fales that I would advise to 'avoid' as such. Just go with an open mind, and don't expect that everything will be like in the western world. Samoa is a different way and pace of life. Slow down and enjoy.

You are arriving at a very busy time. Good luck with finding accommodation in Apia if you are not going to prebook! I don't like your chances, but good luck with that.

Fa soifua

Tinz

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samoa questions

Agree with Tinz on her points re pre-booking and Lalomanu.

Virgin Cove was the only place we had a bad experience but others have had a great time so balance this with the reviews here at Trip Advisor.

Manono island ferry goes from Manono-uta west side of Upolu further around from the main wharf. If you are staying on Manono get the hosts to organise a ferry for you (Sunset Views was where we had stayed Vaotuua is the other beach fale location).

SP Games through to the 8th of September, according to the news reports some 5000 people expected to descend on Apia, my thinking is once the games are over will a percentage stay for a break or to enjoy the islands? if so maybe a prebook isn't a bad idea

Cheers

3. Re: Samoa questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 10:21