We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating In Savaii

Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Eating In Savaii

Hi,

Looking at going to Samoa in the near future and staying up in Savaii Lagoon Resort.

I was wondering if anyone can provide me with info about any places around there that you can eat, what sorts of food and approx prices... nothing exact, just something to look at for a round-about budget.

As the Savaii Lagoon Resort also has self catering facilities, does anyone know what sort of "grocery/supermarket" type shops are around? Does anyone remember the sort of prices you would pay for things?

I am pretty ignorant of on overseas travel, but is the food generally fine to eat? Are there things I should watch out for and avoid?

And one more thing, that isn't food related, can you go there and just book things as you go/feel like, or do you have to plan most things in advance?

Thanks heaps for you help.

Regards,

Peta

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating In Savaii

Hi there

There is a great restaurant at Le Lagoto resort, they have awesome food and cocktails, and it's not very expensive. There are also a few other properties with small restaurants, but Le Lagoto is by far the best, in my opinion.

Re self catering, you would need to get all your supplies in Salelologa (which is where the ferry lands) as there are no other real full on supermarkets up near Manase. There is a gas station that sells a few things and that has a great bakery, but that's about it.

The prices you will pay for western things are sometimes a little more than you would pay at home, but if you can eat the local stuff you will save money.

The food is generally fine to eat over there, just make sure you drink bottled water at all times. Some of the local food is really great - try it all.

If you stay at one of the beachfront fale properties, they usually include two meals in with the accommodation cost. That could work out a lot cheaper for you, if you didn't mind staying in fales.

Re booking and planning in advance, it really depends what time of year you are going. To avoid disappointment, it does pay to plan and book ahead, but you can take your chances!

Cheers

Tina

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating In Savaii

Hi Peta,

If you are staying for a couple of weeks I think you could simply arrive there , get the people at the Airport Hotel to pick you up, and stay there the first night / morning. The planes can arrive at ungodly hours of the night. I think you can book things as you go. But there are times such as the annaul festival in mid Sept where things can be busy.

Everything outside the resorts is priced reasonably, considerably cheaper than NZ and Aussie. Breakfast and Diner is usaully included in the nightly rate. So food is not really a problem.

The main towns / citiy have the shops. Around the islands you will find the village shops. Take cash, credit cards are ok but cash makes it so much easier.

If you find Samoa like we have, you will go back again.

Have a fun trip.

Paris
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating In Savaii

Hello,

Unfortunately there are no more flights to Savaii except the ferry ride which i think is much better, a great place for meals is Parenzo's Restaurant at Siufaga Beach Resort (www.siufaga.com) They even have pizza..:)

cheers

4. Re: Eating In Savaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about Samoa
Recent Conversations