We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Up and coming trip! Advice on stuff to do

Mount Maunganui
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Up and coming trip! Advice on stuff to do

I have been reading these message boards in preparation for a much anticipated holiday to Samoa for our 10th wedding anniversary (a holiday without kids! exciting!!!).

I plan to write up my findings when we get back, but I thought I would provide details of our plans if anyone has any great suggestions for sightseeing or eating near where we are staying.

We fly in on Tuesday night (after leaving on my birthday on Wednesday - so I get two birthdays!) and will stay at Aggie Greys Hotel in a bungalow room for two nights.

We then head to Virgin Cove for two nights, and then over to Savaii. We had hoped to stay at Stevenson's but they were booked, so we have compromised on two nights at Tanu Beach Fales, and three at Le Lagoto.

We stay our last night at Airport lodge as we leave very early in the morning.

Any hints or tips gratefully received! I am packing my mossie repellant, reef shoes, hand sanitizer, and earplugs....

Jo

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Up and coming trip! Advice on stuff to do

Malo lava Jo! Sounds like you have it all worked out pretty well :o)

I take it you are staying at Aggie's in Apia? Lots to see and do there, but good you are only there for two nights, as it's good to get out of the town. Whilst there, Robert Louis Stevenson museum and Palolo Deep Marine Reserve are worth a visit. Places to eat? Paddles (ask the doormen at Aggie's) is but a 5 min walk and last year their meals were pretty good!

Check out the local markets, both the flea market and the food market. Find a nice friendly taxi driver and see if he will take you on a day trip round the island with some interesting stops if you feel like a tour. Decide a price before you go. Pick a nice taxi that looks comfy!

Virgin Cove sounds good, I haven't been for a while but I hear it's had a bit of an upgrade. Tanu's on Savai'i is a good choice ... it will be the complete opposite of Le Lagoto though! Lagoto has been rebuilt and is absolutely gorgeous. Tanu's is basic fales on the beach with no hot water. Mind you, I love Tanu's more I think! You will meet some fab people and will have a great time, I'm sure. The beach at Manase is lovely. Be sure to go swim with the turtles at Satoalepai. Take a paw paw and a knife to cut it so you can feed them :o)

The airport lodge is a good choice too ... run by the lovely Eunice, and very close to the airport. Cheap and basic.

Take a few pegs with you in case you decide to hang some stuff out, and a torch for getting to the toilet at night at the beach fales. If you're hiring a car to take over to Savai'i on the ferry, make sure you book in advance. Be on time, even a bit early for the ferry - it's probably the only darned thing in Samoa that ever seems to run on time, and I've missed it before coz it's left early!

Remember that nothing really moves fast in Samoa, so don't expect people to jump to attention too fast if you need something or ask for something. Turn your speed down to low and you'll be fine. Talk to the locals, and ask them lots of questions! They will love explaining things to you, even if there is a language difficulty. Many Samoans are quite shy, but do persevere.

I really hope you enjoy yourself! When are you going?

Fa soifua

Tinz

Mount Maunganui
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Up and coming trip! Advice on stuff to do

Hi Tinz

Thanks for your advice! That is great. You have been very helpful in the posts that I have reviewed.

We are off next week - hopefully it won't be too rainy or busy. I didn't release that the Australian school holidays were on while we were there - since they are different to the NZ dates.

I can't wait :-), and yes, I will try to relax into the Samoan way of doing things.. although it will be hard as I am a bit of a travel stresser until I get to my destination. :-/

Jo

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Up and coming trip! Advice on stuff to do

Hi there

I wouldn't worry too much about the school holidays. We've been before during NZ school holidays and it really doesn't seem to make that much difference. Last year we stayed during the South Pacific Games, and yeah it was quite busy, but didn't really affect us at all.

The weather is okay at the moment according to friends who live up there - they have been busy doing outdoorsy stuff like repairing fences etc, so they'd usually only do that if the weather was good!

Fa soifua

Tinz

southern california
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Up and coming trip! Advice on stuff to do

If you have a car on 'Upolu you should definitely check out papapapai tai falls off the central cross island road... and the fuipisia falls off the le mafa pass.

Also if you head east from virgin cove towards Lalomanu you should check out the Sua Trench...there's a little sign on the side of the road for it, explore the areas on either side of the trench too it's a nice spot.

The beach at Taufua & litia sini is nice to check out and snorkel at too... and there's a nice spot to take a picture at the end of the beach near the litia sini dining area. There's also some crystal clear beaches just west of coconuts resort on the south coast.

Samoa is full of so many great photo opportunities...you could probably just stop off at a beach every few miles or so and find some new different scenery to take pics of that would look nothing short of paradise.

Just enjoy the natural and cultural beauty there, it's great knowing that a place like that still exists in the world.

Auckland, NZ
Level Contributor
51 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Up and coming trip! Advice on stuff to do

Hi MountMJo,

I'd just like to recommend a restaurant in Apia called Bistro Tatau (cnr Main Beach rd and Fugalei st) if you're looking for somewhere to have a very nice romantic dinner. I think they've developed a web site since we were there last year, so if you're interested give it a Google.

Check out the Mailelani Soap factory which is not far from Apia township just off Cross Island road. This is where they actually make the very beautiful soaps which are really great to take home for gifts (or for yourself!) and there's a gift shop attached. You can buy the soaps in town as well but they're dearer and it's quite cool to be able to see the process and meet the couple whose business it is.

On Savai'i, not far from where you'll be at Le Lagoto and even closer to where swim with the turtles is at Satoalepai, there's a fale that sells beautiful crafts - handbags, place mats, hats - all sorts. Very good prices and beautifully made. Opening hours maybe a bit erratic but it's really worth keeping an eye out for when it's open. The locals will probably be able to let you know more.

Have a great time in Samoa.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Up and coming trip! Advice on stuff to do

Oooh yes Wahine ... I have the most beautiful bag from that place in Savai'i near Fagamalo. I think they call it "The Women's Collective" or similar, and it's a tiny fale on the side of the road.

Some of the women sit in there and weave, and all the bags, hats etc are hung up on display. Well worth a stop - I am sure you will see it when you drive by :o)

Mount Maunganui
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Up and coming trip! Advice on stuff to do

Just a quick note to say that we are back from our Samoa trip and we had a FANTASTIC time. I would go back to any of the places we stayed. They were all quite different but each had its good points.

I will update against each of the accomodation places with specific comments, but for anyone thinking of going to Samoa, go for it! :-)

8. Re: Up and coming trip! Advice on stuff to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 16:15