We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upolu or Savaii (or both)?

Melbourne
2 posts
Save Topic
Upolu or Savaii (or both)?

Hi

I'm travelling to Samoa in July with my sister and 2 teenagers (16 & 12) and was wondering where to go and stay? We will be in Samoa for 11 nights and have booked 3 nights in Apia (directly after arriving) and will probably use Apia as a "base" to see main attractions; i.e Papapapai-tai falls, Robert Louis Stevenson Museum, Apia Markets, the Sliding Rocks etc. We plan to travel around the island/s via bus and stay in budget accomodation (no problems with fales). We are obviously keen on snorkelling and the cultural aspects of Samoa, and (to a lesser extend) the natural attractions- though not walks which are too long/strenuous (as we are with a 12 year).

Following Apia we're free to travel around for 8 nights; though will probably stay at Lalomanu Beach for 3/4 nights. Can anyone suggest if its worthwhile travelling to Savaii, or is spending the entire time on Upolu just as fulfilling in visiting? Other than Apia and Lalomanu Beach, where else (inluding accomodation sites/beaches) do people recommend visiting?

Also, is Manomo Island worth visiting and staying on for a couple of nights?

Thanks!

Terry

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upolu or Savaii (or both)?

Hiya!

Your itinerary sounds pretty good to me. You could get over to Savai'i, but it really depends if you want to be rushing around or if you really want to take it slow and enjoy your holiday!

3 nights in Apia might be a bit much, but if you like the markets and want to use it as a base then it will probably work well for you.

Lalomanu Beach is a great choice - I will probably see you there! The snorkelling and swimming there is fantastic - although please do ask about the tide-pull on an outgoing tide if you are snorkelling with teenagers. It's pretty safe, as long as you understand what the tide is doing, and any of the workers there can tell you about it.

You could stay at Sina PJs, which is on a black sand beach, and a popular spot with surfers. Very laid back, and not nearly as busy as Lalomanu. Other places worth a visit are the restaurant at the bottom of Sinalei's beautiful garden - Ava i Toga. Great food and wine AND coffee!!!! And not too expensive. Nice for a treat, and take your snorkelling gear as there is a big hole at the end of the pier that's worth exploring.

Manono Island - there is not much there, but it's very tranquil and many ppl enjoy a night there. Not sure if you would want to spend more time than that - hopefully others will comment on that one :o)

See you at Lalomanu after 17 July!

Cheers

Tinz

Melbourne
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Upolu or Savaii (or both)?

Thank you so much for the info! We won't see you as we are going b/w June 27 and July 8. We have booked in to Little Sini's for 3 nights, they were booked out the night before we were leaving, so will probably have to return to Apia for a night.

I've taken the advice on Sina PJs (which i hadn't heard of) onboard and, having researched it a little further, am no planning on going there for 1/2 nights.

Terry

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upolu or Savaii (or both)?

At Sina PJs, Malae and Netina will take good care of you! Maybe Peter and Pam will be there too - they are a NZ couple who live in Samoa and often they are at Sina PJ's, helping out :o) You will recognise them by the two little dogs they have that follow them everywhere.

I hope you enjoy your holiday - fa soifua!

Tina

4. Re: Upolu or Savaii (or both)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 18:19