We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - advice please!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay - advice please!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Samoa in October and would really appreciate some advice on where to stay. We will probably have about 10 days and are thinking of spending half on Upolu and half on Savaii. I would like one stay to be in traditional fales and one with a few more creature comforts (but still budget). We would also like to stay places with good snorkelling if possible.

Reading up on this site, I like the sound of Taufua for the great food and amazing beach, but looking at the pictures the fales seem really closely packed and not as nice looking as some of the other places. I'm concerned it may not be quiet enough for what we are looking for. Virgin Cove looks nice but much more expensive and the mozzies sound bad.

Manase sounds like the way to go on Savaii. We could go a beach villa at Stevenson's there for the non-fale stay. Or if we went with fales, all three places (Tanu, Regina's, Jane's) look pretty similar, I wouldn't know how to choose.

Argh, too many choices! Any advice would be appreciated.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay - advice please!

Malo lava!

Maybe your creature comfort place could be Seabreeze on 'Upolu?? Well worth looking at, google it and see :o)

Lalomanu is definitely one of the best beaches, and Taufua is definitely the place to be if you want the best food! Yep it's getting quite crowded these days, but in October it should be quietening down a lot. The fales are not as traditional as the ones at say Regina's at Manase, but the beach is just so fab.

Yep - all the fale places you mention at Manase are much of a muchness, but you won't get food there as good as you will get at Taufua, so make sure you take snacks, or make use of the great petrol station across the road with it's little bakery out the back.

Most of these places have great swimming and snorkelling too.

Cheers

Tinz

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
845 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay - advice please!

hi we are also travelling to samoa in sept-oct this will be our 4th trip.

last year we stayed at virgin cove for the first time, and all fell in love with it. and we didn't have any issue with mozzie's, although i had heard , like yourself that they were bad here. we stayed in the selcluded fales, which are up along the best beach and soft sand. our friends stayed in the basic fales but our fales were nicer, so this time they are payign the bit extra for the selcluded fales, honestly it's worth it.

at lalamono we always stay at litias beach fales they are inclosed blue fales right on the beach with fans, the food has always been great. the snorkeling here is so good. also go for a drive up the road to the ocean trench, really worth a look.

in town we usually stay a couple of nights at aggies but this time we are going to stay at a new place called manumea resort they are giving us a great price $300 tala (double) have a look on the website.

also sa'moana does a local last minute deal for $100tala per person , this place is a surf resort, but we arn't surfers and love it haere , the pool is amazing, and great food.

we have stayed at seabreeze and are going back this time, the rooms are so lovely and clean and fantastic snorkeling , but not the best beach, but you can hire kayaks and paddle a short distance to lovley private beaches, very nice, they will even pack a picnic if you want, And the food here is so good !

in savaii we have done the fales (we used to stay at vacations, but they have gone downhill in our view and they fales now have half wall and doors, it's all wrong, but reginas was but also love lelagoto for a treat, even if you don't end up staying here go up for a meal and swim the swimming here is so much better then manese. i haven't stayed at stevenson's but it looks nice.

alway i am suare you guys will have an amazing time in paradise, i can't wait to we leave.

Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay - advice please!

Hi Sorsha,

My friend and I went to Samoa last August, and loved staying at Taufua. The beach was gorgeous, you could snorkel and kayak directly from the beach, the fales were right on the beach, the food was terrific and plentiful. The fales are close together, but if you are staying at Lalomanu beach, a lot of the fales are close together. We didn't find it overly loud. The fales are very simple, with very comfortable mattresses on the floors, which are covered in woven mats that feel great on your feet. There are canvas pull down sides for privacy (or if it rains), and mozzie nets, though we didn't have to use them. The bathrooms have flush toilets and simple showers, but are right across the road and clean. If I get to go to Samoa again, I would definitely stay there again. The other thing I would recommend is renting a car at some point to get around to some of the other beaches and areas of Upolu. Or, if you are willing to invest the time it might take, you can take local buses around as well. If you are planning to stay in Apia at all, I would recommend Samoan Outrigger Hotel. They have all level of accomodation, both airconditioned and non-airconditioned rooms, a swimming pool, simple breakfast. It's a bit on the edge of town, but you can walk in, or take a taxi, as they are so cheap. Check out their website, and see what you think.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay - advice please!

Hi

My Husband and I have recently returned from a month long trip to Samoa. We had a great time. I would agree that Litia’s on Lolomanu is a fantastic sleepy retreat. It's fales look more attractive than of those further down the beach. The food here was also OK, I didn't eat further down the beach, so I have nothing to compare it to there. Again, the Snorkelling is the best along this beach.

We also stayed at Virgin Cove, the basic Fales - lovely and spacious, we did meet some friends though who had the secluded fales and they were stunning for only a small price more. Mozzies - my Husband got eaten alive here (unusual as it's normally me) but I got bit only a few times. I will say that a bunch of us who stayed here all thought the food was pretty bad, and your stuck there is you have no car!

On Savaii I stayed (for a treat) at Le Legoto - stunning place. But I much preferred Savaii lagoon. Snorkelling is excellent.

On Manase we stayed at Regina's - Overwhelmingly friendly. If you like this communal style eating, this is fine. I liked Vacations though, better food, better fales.

Wherever you go, you will have an amazing time!!! I am very jealous.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay - advice please!

Sorscha

I, too, am from Melbourne and just got back 2 days ago after getting married in Samoa! Can I say that it is heaven here on Earth?? We just spent 3 weeks there and couldn't get enough.

Having said that, lemme divulge our experience to you. We stayed for 9 days at Aggie's Resort then spent 2 nights at Tanu Beach in Savaii, then came back to Sinalei for 9 nights. Our experience is that Aggie's is the 'fun,energetic, family' resort and Sinalei was filled with retirees who wanted peace and quiet. Tanu Beach was brilliant in between. We hired a car and did both islands comprehensively, which I recommend - esp. if you want to 'feel and experience' the culture.

Drove past Jane's etc in Savaii and, yes, you're right - throw a dart and pick a venue. We'd go back to Tanu Beach anyday for the fia fia they do and the wonderful experience we had.

We spent the day at Lalomanu and saw Taufua. It IS very jam packed and crowded and if you're someone who wants your own personal space, then maybe this may not be the place for you. It is more rustic and less resorty than Aggie's/Sinalei/Coconuts etc.

if it's brilliant snorkelling you want - and peace and quiet - then Sinalei is for you.

Happy to chat to you some more, if you like

Sharon

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay - advice please!

Wow, thank you so much for all the brilliant advice everyone. That gives me lots to think about, will post back when I think I have a plan and get some opinions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay - advice please!

Well I have booked the flights, whoo hoo! Just have to make a decision on the accomodation. We arrive around midnight on a Friday night, so I am thinking we will need to stay in Apia for the first night. Can anyone give me advice on how it works getting there in the middle of the night? If I book somewhere in Apia can I get them to pick us up? Or will we have to get a taxi and is that a problem at that time? Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay - advice please!

We, too, got in just after midnight - I think all the flights into Samoa seem to. We had transfers within our accommodation package so they were there waiting for us.

When you book your accommodation, I'd highly recommend organising your transfers at that point. Faleolo Airport is about 45 minutes to Apia and there's coconut trees in between and not much else.

I can't recall taxis waiting at the airport but I'm sure there would be. Business for them is not plentiful and I'm sure they're more than aware of most flights coming in at that hour of the night. They'd be sure to pick up some business.

I'm really happy that you've booked. I am pining to go back and we've only been home for 2 weeks.

How are you going with accom? Have you sorted yourself out for that one? It really depends on the level of comfort you want and the amount you want to spend.

Cheers

Sharon

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
845 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay - advice please!

re transfers

hi each time we have arrives (and yes like you in the middle of the night!) there has always been plently of taxi's, we have never had a problem getting one, they all seem to be there as it;s a busy time. athe rate is approx $50 tala into town, which takes about 45 minutes.

the hotels usally charge more for the tansfers, and they charge per person so works out more expensive.

in town we have stayed at aggies (which is fine and a great feel about it, and the staff are so friendly, oh and they have air/con) but this time we are trying a new place just 5 minutes out of town, manumea resort (near the robert lui stevenson place) for a similar price to aggies, it looks great.

we leave in 6 weeks ( and counting!!)

in town or just before you leave if you want some nice souviners check out plantation house (tell the taxi driver it's near the uni)

have fun !!

australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay - advice please!

We just got back from 12 days in Samoa -- with 8 of these being on Savaii @ Savaii Lagoon.

Savaii Lagoon is very beautiful, very quiet and a great place to stay. The rooms/bungalows are right on the beach. Good snorkelling to be had, etc.

Although breakfast is supplied, meals can be had at the LeLagoto -- which is next door.

We arranged our bookings through Samoa Hotels Association, and the price worked out much better doing it this way.

As for taxis from the airport at night, when we arrived there seemed to be many. (although ours was arranged via Samoa Hotels Association.)

Enjoy your stay on Savaii -- it is a beautiful place.

Get answers to your questions about Samoa
Recent Conversations