We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car - how many days?

Christchurch
Level Contributor
119 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car - how many days?

Hi

We are going to be in Samoa for 9 days in August, staying at Aggie's Resort with kids aged 8 and 5.

We plan to hire a car for a day or so but not sure how long we would need it for, to see what we want to see:

Have heard the beach at Aggie's isn't so great for snorkelling so would like to drive to Lalomanu for a day - is this a good day trip?- or is there another beach anyone can recommend with good snorkelling?

Is taking the ferry to Savai'i also possible as a day-trip? Would like to do the turtle swim/see the blowholes if possible, but it may be too far/too expensive with a car??

Any other suggestions welcome!

Many thanks.

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car - how many days?

hi yes you are the beach at the resort it's the best. i would recommend a day trip to lalamono beach for sure the kids will love it here and you can rent a fale for the day so you have some shade etc. also if you don't want to go so far its' also lovely at mataerva beach. you could easily arrange a day trip ato savaii from aggies and you can also take your car on the ferry, but i would recommend booking your car on otherwise you line up with everyone and take the chance that you will get on. if you do go to savaii head towards fagamalo (just before the popular manase area) there you can swim with the turtles so the kids would love this, also there is a lava feild with a church that was destroyed with lava and it's fantastic, our boys enjoyed this. you could stop in at lelagoto for lunch and a swim the beach here is so good for swimming.

we got a deal with the car hire as we are renting for more then 2 weeks, but our prices are $145 tala a day but the usual price is more like $190 tala/day this is for a 4WD hyundai tuscon.

have fun

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car - how many days?

Hiya

I just got back 2 days ago after staying at Aggie's resort and, you're right - the snorkelling is less than avergae there but the resort is brilliant, in my opinion. We took our kids (17, 16 and 12) and they had the best time! Yours will, too.

Lalomanu is good for snorkelling but the best experience we had was at Sinalei resort. The snorkelling there was out of this world and unlike any other place we snorkelled - the marine life was brilliant.

We hired a car for two days but ended up extending it for another 2 days so that we could get about and really feel and experience the culture.

I thoroughly recommend hiring a car and taking it over by ferry to Savai'i. We spent 2 nights at Tanu beach and drove around the island, swam with the turtles, saw the blowholes and managed to circumnavigate the entire island in one big jampacked day.

We also met a taxi driver who took us around the island (all 33 of us) for WST70 a day - which was a third of the cost of other tours - and he took us to places that palagi (foreigners) aren't allowed. We snorkelled through and around a clam farm that tourists cannot access.

His name is Mack and his number in Samoa is 7777646. Tell him Sharon and Grant recommended you and he'll look after you.

Cheers

Sharon

Christchurch
Level Contributor
119 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car - how many days?

Thanks for the recommendations - sounds great!

So it would be possible to take car over to Savai'i and do the turtles, blowholes etc in one day? We are booked into Aggie Grey's for the whole time so it would have to just be a day trip.

Also, I can't find much info on the web on the turtles - where did you do that?

Thanks, Sarah

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car - how many days?

Hiya again

The ferry we took left at 10am and took 1.5 hours to get to Savai'i. You could definitely do the turtles (A MUST!), no probs. However the blowholes are at the other end of the island and you would have to check what time the last ferry goes back to Molifanua Wharf on Upolu. Well worth it, if you can fit it in.

The turtle swimming is in the Satoalepai Wetlands - there is a sign that you can't miss on the main road. There is only one road around the island of Savai'i so you can't get lost.

Why not look into staying in a fale in Manase on savai'i - even for one night. It's very cheap - around WST50 (ish) per night and well worth the experience. We stayed 2 nights at Tanu Beach and could have stayed much longer.

I'd book the trip to Savai'i at your end as it's quite ad hoc when you get there. I found it easier to have already booked and bought the tickets.

The snorkelling at Sinalei resort is brilliant! Every type of marine life has starred in Finding Nemo, which should appeal to your kids. BYO snorkelling equipment which you can get from reception at Aggie's or hire from Samoa Sports - on ground at Aggie's. Sinalei is on the way to Lalomanu so you're not going out of your way.

If you get the free Jason's map at Aggie's Reception counter, it will show you the roads (only 2 or 3 main ones exist) and you can map your trip to best suit you.

There is a lot to do in Samoa. Have to be honest and say some of the more interesting things will not be suitable for your kids from a safety perspective. Aggie's DO have a brilliant Kid's Club if you want to do it on your own.

PapaSee'a Sliding Rocks are great as is the Sua Cave Trench. Your 8 yr old may be okay for the sliding rock but I wouldn't let the 5 yr old go, personally.

Other things that you can do with 2 small kids is the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum; Apia markets; Togotogiga Waterfalls; the lava fields; Piula Cave Pools.

We also found a great tour guide by the name of Mack who will take you in his taxi around the island for about WST70 tala. He is a pastor at his church, is very honest and conscientious, trustworthy and will show you Samoa thoroughly. He's married with kids so understands family safety etc. His phone number is 7777646 - tell him Sharon and Grant told you about him and he will take proper care of you.

We got married in Samoa 2 weeks ago with our three children in tow. We also had 33 other Aussies there, also with kids and Aggie's was the best resort for them. Mack was the best and safest guide to show us Samoa.

Hope this helps - please feel free to fire questions. I found it so difficult to get info re: Samoa off the Net so I'm happy to pass on any info that can help make your holiday as brilliant as ours was.

Cheers

Sharon

5. Re: Hiring a car - how many days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 18:20