We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Catering in Samoa?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Self Catering in Samoa?

Hi there, I was wondering if there were any small Inns or cottages/houses/villas that have kitchens? I love cooking when I visit places (especially tropical ones) but haven't come across any places like this in Samoa.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Catering in Samoa?

Malo MichelleYP

The only place I can think of off hand is Valentine's on the outskirts of Apia. It's very basic and cheap accommodation with only 2 air conditioned rooms and a night club attached to it (but it closes around 9-10pm most nights). Verona and Justin Parker run it and live on the premises with their kids. Verona makes a cooked breakfast every day but the rest of the rest of the day guests are free to use the kitchen, though it is small and basic.

I really can't recommend the accommodation as it is not very comfortable and is sweltering. But if you don't mind roughing it then you'll find Verona a really lovely woman and she'll point you in the right direction as far as buying food, etc.

There is not a lot of this sort of accommodation in Samoa, it really is a budding tourist industry. Another alternative is driving around the coast and you'll often come across rental signs in the villages. They will have cooking facilities and will probably be cooler being alongside the sea. However, these sometimes reqiure long term rental but if you haggle enough and come to an attractive enough price they may consider short term. If you do end up staying in a village brush up on the protocol before you go.

Tinzaroo may be able to recommend something more appealing.

Anymore questions please don't hesitate to as.

Fa soifua

Deb

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Catering in Samoa?

Thanks so much Deb. I scoured the internet and didn't find anything so it's helpful to know that I wasn't missing anything.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Catering in Samoa?

Malo Michelle & Deb :o)

Nope, I can't think of anything to recommend with self catering facilities. As Deb says, it's a budding tourist industry here and they haven't quite gotten that far yet.

I know that there aren't too many rentals down here at Lalomanu, as most people choose to stay in Beach Fales, and there are usually two meals included in the price of the beach fale accommodations, with people being able to buy lunch from a few places down here, or having a few bananas to tide them over until dinner :o)

Hope this helps!

Just an aside - it is soooo hot here today! Very hot, with very low tides as there's quite a full moon at the moment. But the sun is gorgeous!

manuia le aso (have a great day)

Tina

Auckland
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Catering in Samoa?

Hi Michelle,

I too am looking for the same type of accomodation. I have found a place called Talanoa fales, up in Moamoa, that is a self contained fale. Check it out on the Samoa websites.

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
844 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Catering in Samoa?

are you going to savaii? lelagoto resort has an apartment with a kitchen. it's the downstairs apart it also has 2 bedrooms.

also savii lagoon resort.

but if you are planning to do cooking in savaii, take some supplies with you.

manumea has a kitchenette , sink plates/knives/forks etc / microwave.

hope this helps a little

sue

NZ
Level Contributor
183 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self Catering in Samoa?

Savaii Lagoon Resort - nice beach cottages with a small basic kitchen and outdoor BBQ area. Vaiala Cottages in Apia are self catering.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self Catering in Samoa?

I think the Insel Fehmarn hotel in Apia has kitchenettes in its rooms. Haven't been there but reviews are usually quite good.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self Catering in Samoa?

Wow, thanks everyone. Thinking about a trip there next Fall/Winter and starting to do some investigating so this is very helpful.

9. Re: Self Catering in Samoa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 09:28
Get answers to your questions about Samoa
Recent Conversations