We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on what to do

Woodford Green
5 posts
Save Topic
Help on what to do

Hey all,

I'm looking for advice on how to split up my time while in Samoa.

I've contacted a couple members of the American Peace Corp and plan to stay with them for a night or two, but other than that I've got no clue what I should be doing, visiting.

Is it easy to find families or a village to stay in. I did that in Tonga and loved every moment of it.

Is travel around the island feasible without renting a car?

How much would one need to budget for a week or two vacation (Backpacker style)?? I'm still debating on how long to stay and if there is enough to do for two weeks.

I'm really confused on what to do, etc, so any help and advice would be so appreciated!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on what to do

Malo lava

All of the beach fale properties are located in the middle of villages, so you are staying in a village by default. If you want to stay with a family, contact the Tourist Bureau in Apia and they might be able to hook you up.

Travel around 'Upolu is possible by bus, maybe with a bit of hitching and taxis thrown in, but I wouldn't rely at all on the bus service in Savai'i as it's very unreliable.

There is definitely enough to do for a two week holiday! One week on each island will give you a fantastic insight into life in the islands. Re budget - that's hard to say. Most beach fales will be around $90 tala per night, including two meals, or maybe $70 tala per night if you can find someone to share with.

Not sure of the prices of hotels in town, but I know there are hostel type places which are pretty cheap. Deb will be better placed to advise on that.

There are also the smaller islands like Manono and Namua - these are beautiful places to visit and should not be missed! I'm sure your Peace Corp friends will also have a wealth of knowledge to share. Those guys really get around!

Fa soifua

Tina

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on what to do

Malo lava Jules SW

My village of Moata'a in Apia have several small fale palagi (white mans house) that they rent out at about $100 tala night (or if you are good at bargaining possibly $80-90tala). There is no food provided in that price but you will be most welcome and will probably be offered by some members of the village to share a meal, particularly on Sundays. If you are interested and let me know approx. dates I can contact my Samoan family and check out availability.

Apart from that you will not find much cheaper in Apia. On the road in from the Airport you will see quite a few signs for seaside accommodation but they are nearly all long-term and won't take anyone for just a couple of nights.

Tina has the best idea with beach fales outside of Apia and on Savaii and is right about a trip to Manono, it really is beautiful, no vehicles or animals and pure Polynesia, like Namua. It is off the North Coast so virtually on your way to Savaii where there are also many beach fale resorts with similar prices to Upolu. I haven't been to Namua (planning to this year) but Tina says it's amazing so while you're staying at Lalomanu (south coast beach fale area) you might like to plan one night there as well, I believe it's quite cheap.

I would not depend solely on the buses. As Tina said, the Peace Corps guys will be a wealth of info.

Hope this helps

Fa soifua

Deb

3. Re: Help on what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 03:18