We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samoa to Tonga

Greece
2 posts
Save Topic
Samoa to Tonga

I am planning our honeymoon in May and wanted to visit both Samoa (7-10 days) and Tonga (7-10 days).

Is there a way of getting from Samoa to Vava'u or Tonga more generally by ferry and not have to fly?

Also if we're going to spend 10 days in Samoa, we would like to see both islands, is this a little ambitious, or could we spend say 4 days in a fale in one island and 4 days in a luxury resort in the other?

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samoa to Tonga

Malo Mike

As far as I know there is only the one way to get to Tonga from Samoa and that's by plane - it's about a 5 hour flight. The only international ferry trip goes to Pago Pago in American Samoa which is an 8 hour trip.

If you are trying to mix luxury and fale accommodation, I'd go for the luxury of Upolu (either Sinalei, Aggies Resort or Le Vasa) and then spend the rest of the time at either Tanu, Regina's or Jane's fales on Savaii.

It isn't too ambitious to do both and if you are hiring a car it would be even more feasible. The only reason I suggest doing the luxury bit on Upolu is that you are spoiled for choice, on Savaii there is basically only the one resort (Le Lagoto) that you would call luxury.

Hope this helps. Any more questions just fire away.

Fa soifua

Deb

Greece
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Samoa to Tonga

Thanks for the advice - I definitely agree with you regarding going to the fale in Savaii and luxury hotel in Upolu.

Regarding getting to Tonga, do you know if there are cruise companies that go to Samoa as part of a wider South Pacific tour. I was thinking maybe we can get on such a cruise in order to get to Tonga by boat. I am not very good with flying, so I was hoping to avoid a 5-hour inter island flights!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samoa to Tonga

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Mike but I don't think you'll be able to avoid the Samoa - Tonga flight. There are cruises that take in both Samoa and Tonga, they leave from Australia and New Zealand and you can get off wherever you like BUT you have to pay the fare for the entire cruise. ie: if you are able to get on a ship from Samoa to Tonga you will have to pay the full cruise fare applicable from OZ or NZ, also Apia is usually the last port of call so you wouldn't be able to get a ship from Apia to Tonga. Check with your travel agent and also ask about berths on freighters which may be another alternative.

Hope this helps

Fa soifua

Deb

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samoa to Tonga

Malo Mike

It's only about an hour and a bit to fly from Samoa to Tonga - just a hop, skip and a jump! I don't think you will be able to get a boat.

Cheers

Tina

5. Re: Samoa to Tonga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 15:18