We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air conditioning needed in May?

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Air conditioning needed in May?

Malo everyone,

My husband and I are travelling to Samoa in early May, and he insists that we book a place with air conditioning. He is the non-adventurous type who is used to air conditioned hotel rooms, but I am the more adventurous type who wants to book a beach fale. Given the weather and humidity in May, could we get by with a fale that has a ceiling fan, or would it really be better for us to get a fale that has AC during May? Just worried that he won't enjoy the vacation if it is too hot and humid with no AC. :)

Also, we have never booked accommodation that has shared bathrooms, but most fales seem to not have private bathrooms. Is sharing a problem with other guests, e.g. is there a lot of conflict if everyone needs to use the toilet at the same time, what happens? As you can see, we haven't traveled much to tropical islands so would very much appreciate your insight/advice, especially for my husband who worries about these types of things. ;)

Thank you!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

Malo lava SpliToe

I empathise with your husband as I am not very fond of the humidity but have had to learn to cope as we live their for 4-6 months every year. May is the dry season so the humidity is lower(70% or so) than you would find later/earlier in the year when it reaches 100% every day. Average temps for May are between 26-30 deg Celsius so it's not too bad (you are actually coming into the Southern Hemisphere winter). I'm assuming from the sound of your description that you may be staying at one of the fale resorts at Lalomanu, if that's the case you usually have a seabreeze nearly every day and it's very refreshing for sleeping at night. I will leave the description of the various types of fale available to Tina (Lalomanu is her village) but I do believe there are one or two with air con and private ensuites and some with ceiing fans. As for the shared bathroom facilities, it's never really been a problem unless a whole lot of people are 'busting' to go at the same time, it's something you'll work out for yourselves as your holiday goes on. This advice applies to most beach fale areas whether it's on Upolu or Savaii, both Tina and sasa have more experience than I with staying at fales so I'll leave the rest up to them.

If you intend venturing out of the fale area for the day and exploring some of this stunning country, maybe hire a car or book a day tour or 2 (if you need more info there just let me know) you'll either have an air con bus or car. When you're walking out and about buy a simple Samoan woven fan at the Apia markets, they are so simple but incredibly effective at keeping you cool, I never go anywhere without one.

We live right near the sea and sleeping has never been a problem because of the seabreeze.

If you could let us know where you are staying we may be able to give you more detailed information on what is available.

Hope this helps and that you have an amazing holiday in a land full of beautiful people with and amazing culture.

Fa soifua

Deb

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

Malo lava SpliToe, and welcome to the Samoa forums! :o)

Regarding fale accommodation, there are some that have ceiling fans and wall fans, plus there are even some that have their own shower and toilet!

If you are staying on the island of 'Upolu (that's where the international airport is) then you will most likely head to Lalomanu Beach (Lalomanu is my village) for your fale accommodation. The beach is gorgeous and the snorkelling is really great, and very close to the shore if you are not too adventurous :o)

There are two main fale resorts there, Litia Sini and Taufua Beach Fales. Litia's is a bit more expensive, and their beachfront fales are all enclosed. They do have ceiling fans. The showers and toilets are across the road.

Taufua is right next door on the exact same stretch of beach. Their showers and toilets are also across the road, but they do have three fales that have fans, a shower and toilet. However, these three fales are not absolute beachfront, and they are pretty small. They also have a double bed rather than a mattress on the floor. Even though they are not absolute beachfront, they are still on the beach and about 50 paces from the water, if that.

Taufua's absolute beachfront fales are all open fales, bar two of them. These two are enclosed and lockable, with a double bed and a huge big deck. They're lovely. The open fales and most of the semi enclosed ones have mattresses on the floor, although you may be able to get a double bed if you request that when you book.

Regarding showers and toilets, yep sometimes it can get busy in the showers with only three of them there for the ladies and two for the men, and sometimes there are water problems which mean that some days you might not get a shower. That's just the way it is - Samoa does not yet have a huge infrastructure when it comes to utilities in the southern villages :o) That said though, there is usally always fresh running water somewhere so you will at the least, be able to get the salt water off you.

I hope I'm not making it sound awful, what I've said above is probably worst case scenario and you will be fine! There is no hot water though, although you don't really need hot showers in the tropics.

Hope this has helped, please don't hesitate to ask more questions if I can help.

Fa soifua

Tina

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

Malo Deb and Tina,

Thank you both for such detailed info, we really appreciate it! After reading your responses, I narrowed down the list and am seriously considering Seabreeze or Le Manumea for 5 nights on Upolo, then either Savaii Lagoon Resort or Luisa's Lagoon Chalets in Savaii for 3 or 4 nights (trying to stay at mid-range places). The cheapest rooms at Seabreeze have AC but no private bathroom, and Luisa's overwater chalets also have AC and shared bathrooms. Any votes for/against these 4 resorts? Would like to be near a beach, have AC or a fan or a natural seabreeze, and decent food. I would like to rent a car (if we can afford it) so distance to popular areas shouldn't be a problem. :) Thanks much for your input!

Wendy

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

Malo fo'i Wendy

Get's exciting when you narrow it down to a few choices doesn't it?

Out of Seabreeze and Manumea I'd probably go for Seabreeze, right on the water, boutique style and excellent staff and food. Sharing the bathroom shouldn't be a huge problem and the a/c is a bonus (I would book soon though as someone mentioned the other day that they tried to book for July and they were booked out - May should be OK being the onset of the dry season, but do try ASAP). Manumea, whilst having all the facilities you need in the room and being a really stunning hotel, is just 10 mins from Apia and quite a way from the beaches. For your first experience I really believe you should be near the water and taking in Samoan culture, the beauty of the land and it's people and perhaps spend a day or 2 wandering around the markets and visiting some of the must sees and historical attractions in Apia. My village is in Apia and I love it, we live there 4-6 months a year, but we know Samoa and prefer to live there because our extended family is there and it is convenient for food shopping etc. We get away as much as possible though to beach villages. You can pick up a car for as little as $120 tala per day

(probably around $US40=50) and nowhere is very far from anywhere else in Samoa.

On Savaii, I'd probably go for Savaii Lagoon, it's convenient to everything and once again close to the beach. I'm just a little iffy about Luisa's - I see good reviews but more often than not bad. I have only ever stayed with family on Savaii and 1 night at Le Lagoto, 2 nights at Tanu and a day visit with friends to Savaii Lagoon. I think either Tina or sasa would be better equipped to advise you here.

The car is an excellent idea and so cheap at US$ exchange rates. Recommended rental companies are Discovery, Funway and Samoana.

Hope this helps, fire away if you have any more questions.

Have a wonderful stay and let us know what you think when you get home.

Manuia le po

(Have a great night)

Deb

5. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Samoa
Recent Conversations