We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samoa - advice needed

New Zealand
3 posts
Save Topic
Samoa - advice needed

Hi,

My partner and I are planning a trip to Samoa at the end of June.

Unfortunately we only have about a week.

Is it reasonable to visit both main islands or should we stick to one? If we need to make a choice, which would you recommend?

Many places seem to have packages such as stay 7 nights pay for 6 etc. Should we stay in one place for the whole time (or one in each island), or should we move around?

Basically we would like to see beautiful beaches, get to know people and their culture, relax, but also do some walks, diving, etc.

Many many thanks!

Liat.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samoa - advice needed

Malo lava Liat

It is very unfortunate that you have such a limited amount of timr, but if it's relaxation, beaches, beautiful people, culture and a stunning country you're after, your'e headed to the right place.

What places have you looked at so far, as I know some are also doing stay for 5/pay for 4. That way you'd be able to spend the 5 nights on Upolu and 2 on Savaii. You need a lot more time to see Savaii, but to get a feel for the people and their culture, 5 nights on Upolu is probably best.

Are you intending on hiring a car and what range of accommodation are you looking for ie, budget, mid-range or a little more upmarket; resort or fale?

Seabreeze Resort is a beautiful little boutique resort right on the water on the south-coast of Upolu, not far from the best beach in Samoa, Lalomanu where there is fale type accommodation. I know they are discounting quite a bit in June because of some light (unobstrusive) construction work. Check it out at www.seabreezesamoa.ws or email Wendy at seabreee@samoa.ws.

You can also check out a lot more options at jasons.com/samoa where you can get a more comprehensive view of most hotels.

I hope I can be of more help once you've told me a little bit more about what you want.

Fa soifua

Deb

New Zealand
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Samoa - advice needed

Hi Deb,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm really sorry for taking so long before writing back. I was expecting to get an e-mail when a reply was posted and when I didn't get one I just assumed no one replied.

Finally we have decided to stay 11 days in Samoa, which is a little bit better than 7 I guess…

It’s a bit of a shame I didn’t see your post before as we have (by now) already booked some accommodation.

We just looked through other posts and it seemed like there was more to do in Savaii.

So we planned to stay the first night in Apia (Insel Fehmarn Hotel) then stay 7 nights at Stevenson @Manase in Savaii and then go back to Upolu (we still don’t have accommodation for the last 2 nights).

I think we can still make changes to these bookings though.

What do you think? Are 7 nights in Savaii too many?

We haven’t decided whether we need a rental car or not. Any advice? We were thinking of using local transport. It is much cheaper than other options we found (like hotel transfers) and it’s a nice way of seeing the “real” Samoa. We think… But we also saw that the public transportation is unreliable. Do you have any information about the number of busses that are going around Upolu/Savaii each day? Jason’s recommend a guide for some nature tours and that kind of put us of renting a car (as we might need to book a tour anyway).

Can you recommend places to stay in Upolu? We wanted to stay in Taufua Beach Fales on Lalomanu Beach, but we heard about a food poisoning there (or something like that) and House of Travel (NZ travel agency) recommended not going there.

Otherwise we thought of staying in a mid-range (kind of nicer) place for our last 2 nights. We checked Virgin Cove where the nice fales were already booked. I’m waiting to hear back from SeaBreeze at the moment.

Thank you so much!!!!

I will definitely check for replies directly in the forum this time!

Liat.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samoa - advice needed

Malo lava

Nope, 7 nights on Savai'i is not too much if you want to really relax and enjoy your surroundings! However, public transport on Savai'i is pretty unreliable, so to get about and see the island, I would definitely look into booking a car for at least some of the time.

Lalomanu Beach on Upolu is gorgeous, and well worth at least a day trip, if not an overnight. Food poisoning at Taufua? Probably more like an overindulgence of beer and too much sun - LOL! Yep people do get sick in Samoa, but it happens everywhere, even in the big resorts. Sometimes our tummies are just not used to the change in food.

I drink the local water when I'm living in Lalomanu Village, but then again some of the locals won't drink it, so it's different for everyone :o)

If you were spending more time on Upolu, I would say that the public transport option is a good one, but not really for Savai'i.

Fa soifua

Tina :o)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19831-Samoa_Be…

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samoa - advice needed

Malo Liat

I whole-heartedly agree with Tina, don't let reports of "food poisoning" deter you as this is not a regular occurrence in Samoa, particularly Taufua, and probably is just someone's over reaction to too much food and Vailima. It would be great for you to spend the last 2 nights at Taufua and you would definitely get a sense of the difference between both islands.

Hiring a car is the best option but I would hire it on Upolu before you go to Savaii as they are more reliable. Try Blue Pacific (sales@bluepacific.ws), Discovery (discoveryrentals@samoa.ws) or Funway (funwayrentals@samoa.ws) they will also arrange for your temporary Samoan driver's licence. Bear in mind though that you will have to book and pay your fares for the ferry 24 hours ahead, they'll help you with that as well.

If you are still not looking forward to staying at Taufua and Seabreeze is booked out then I would suggest that you try Virgin Cove or Sinalei or perhaps Manumea or Aggie Greys in Apia or Le Vasa on the North Coast which is only 10 mins from Mulifanua Wharf where the ferry docks.

Hope this helps.

Fa soifua

Deb

sydney
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samoa - advice needed

Stay on the one island you will lose a day traveling to Savaii

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samoa - advice needed

A day is never 'lost' in Samoa Liat, imagine all the beautiful places you will get to see along the way to Savaii, places you might want to stop and just explore. The ferry trip is only 90 mins depending on the currents so relax and enjoy. Don't forget to take all your valuables out of the car and lock it if you intend going out on deck though - which is advisable as it just gets too hot in the car if you stay with it.

Fa soifua

Deb

New Zealand
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Samoa - advice needed

Thank you so much for your replies!!

It really helped us a lot!

So we'll definitelly look into renting a car and staying in Taufua. Hopefully they'll have an available fale for us :o)

I can't wait to go already!! 2 and a half more weeks!

Thanks again!!!!

Liat.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samoa - advice needed

Have a wonderful time Liat, I'm sure Samoa and it's people will capture your time. Please let us now how you got on when you return.

Enjoy

Fa soifua

Deb

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Samoa - advice needed

If you are worried about food poisoning take some charcoal tablets to take as soon as things feel dodgy. We often used to run into tourists who were having tummy troubles when we lived in Samoa, even at Sinalei where I used to do yoga every week and some people are just more sensitive than others to different food hygiene practices etc.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Samoa - advice needed

Great suggestion palusami

Charcoal is an excellent remedy for many health problems. They are not however readily available in Australia so I don't know how easy it is to get them in NZ. Do you know if you can by them at any of the pharmacies in Apia?

Fa'afetai tele lava

Manuia le aso

Deb