We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vavau beach resort - what happened to it?, Sa'anapu Lagoon

Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vavau beach resort - what happened to it?, Sa'anapu Lagoon

Talofa,

as we (am family with 2 little kids) are staying in Samoa August-September, we are looking for several places to stay. A reference is the South Pacific Handbook by Moon. (but the prices quoted in there seem to have tripled or quadrupled since 2004 (the last edition).

We heard a recommendation for Vavau beach resort, but it seems that it does not exist anymore.

Can anyone give me an update / insight into this?

Then another candidate is Sa'anapu Lagoon Lodges, has anyone staid there? There is hardly anything to find about it.

Fa'afetai for any insight,

All the best from Germany

Martin

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vavau beach resort - what happened to it?, Sa'anapu Lagoon

Malo lava mampito

This morning I emailed a friend in Samoa to find out about Vavau beach. I am pretty sure it was closed earlier in the year, but just waiting confirmation.

As for Sa'anapu Lagoon, I'm not sure where that is? Have been racking my brain. Maybe Deb will know about that one!

The guide from 2004 will be way out of date now. With the Pacific Games in 2007 there was a lot of change to standards and prices.

Will post back when I hear from my Samoan family!

Manuia le po

Tina

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19831-Samoa_Be…

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vavau beach resort - what happened to it?, Sa'anapu Lagoon

Malo lava

Apologies for the delay in replying to you.

I've spoken to a local in Samoa and they advise that yes, Vavau is still open, but it's very run down and they would not recommend it for a stay. The beach there is really gorgeous, but the accommodation and food let it down.

Up to you as to whether or not you want to chance it, but you can always stay somewhere else and do a day trip to the beach.

Sa'anapu Lodge - I'm sorry, I can't find anything out about this one.

Fa soifua

Tina

Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vavau beach resort - what happened to it?, Sa'anapu Lagoon

Talofa TIna,

Fa'afetai for this information!

Who else could have helped me apart from you!

Incredible, here I am on the other side of the planet and get detailed infos about Samoa. :-)

We had these locations in the moon South Pacific guide, unfortunately from 2004.

So a lot of information is very outdated and some places do not exist any more.

All the best and thank you so much!

Martin

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vavau beach resort - what happened to it?, Sa'anapu Lagoon

Talofa fo'i

You are welcome. Also be aware that even if you purchase the most recent Lonely Planet guide, a lot of that is sadly out of date too. It was the advent of the 2007 games that saw a lot of change in Samoa.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to post them. Deb, Sasa and I all have good info and contacts in Samoa, and we are only too happy to try and help people.

Fa soifua, manuia le po!

Tina

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vavau beach resort - what happened to it?, Sa'anapu Lagoon

Malo again!

You might have seen a post in another thread from CrazyIslandBoy, who tells us that Saanapu is home to two resorts - Virgin Cove and Samoana. So maybe either of those used to be referred to as Saanapu Lagoon Lodges?

Regardless, both places are reviewed here, so if you wanted to consider either of them you will have a few reviews to go on. Good luck!

Fa

Tina

northern rivers
Level Contributor
84 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vavau beach resort - what happened to it?, Sa'anapu Lagoon

Hi Martin,

I just returned from Samoa yesterday. My friends and I actually stayed one beach away from Vavau. We went for a walk over to it and it was like a ghost town. The bungalows were empty and nobody was around. The beach is lovely.

When we got back to our resort we asked about it and they told us that it no longer was active because it had be bought by someone who was suppose to start building something new in January.

We came across a couple in Savaii that had stayed there and had mentioned that it was quite there and that it was run down.

Cheers seabulepearl

northern rivers
Level Contributor
84 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vavau beach resort - what happened to it?, Sa'anapu Lagoon

Hi Martin,

I just returned from Samoa yesterday. We were staying in a resort one beach over from Vavau and it is correct that the beach resort in no longer open full time.

We went over to check things out and it was like a ghost town. We asked the people who ran our resort and we were told that the new owners were suppose to start rebuilding in January.

We did meet a couple who stayed there and they also said that is was run down.

I hope that helps

Cheers Renate

northern rivers
Level Contributor
84 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vavau beach resort - what happened to it?, Sa'anapu Lagoon

Sorry for the double responses. I had a problem with my computer and didn't think my message went through. cheers Renate

Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vavau beach resort - what happened to it?, Sa'anapu Lagoon

Renate,

thank you so much for your information!

No we have a pretty good picture about Vavau's state and will look for other places.

In spite of "Survivor" there are still enough to chose from :-)

All the best

Martin

SAMOA
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vavau beach resort - what happened to it?, Sa'anapu Lagoon

Virgin cove is a beautiful place to stay, very exclusive and beautiful sand. The food is basic so you might need to take your own snacks for the kids etc.

There are so many other places that are great to stay. If you ever choose to stay at Taufua beach fales let me know. We have a lot of families with childrens stayed there recently for more than 2 weeks each. The best thing about Taufua apart from the beach are the food. there is always enough food for everybody. Wed and Sat are their fiafia nights.

Faofao is also another good place to stay which is not far from Lalomanu beach. I could take photos of places and send if that would help you decide your holiday destination.

Best Regards

Mika