We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsunami

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Tsunami

I am so sad to hear about the tsunami.. We are not getting a lot of news here in UK, but however bad, it is not stopping us from coming to see your lovely island in 3 weeks time. Having survived a terrible hurricane many years ago in Vanuatu, I remember how long it takes to recover and how islands who depend so much on tourism need tourists to keep coming. Our prayers are certainly with all of you in Samoa.

Woolgoolga...
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsunami

that's lovely that you will still go they are lovely warm people

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsunami

malo granny pen,

it is so sad isn't it. it is such an amazing island, and the people are so kind, adn friendly. where were you planing on staying, as all the fales on lalomau beach have been destryoed, as with seabreeze resort, and damages to sinalei and coconuts resort. so if you were staying at these places perhaps email and check on things. also you may be able to ask if you have some room in your luggage if they need anything brought over. ( remember you don't need to wear much it's so hot, i live in lavlava's ( sarongs) you can buy them at the markets cheaply)

enjoy your stay

sue

Melbourne, AUS
Level Contributor
60 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsunami

So sad to hear about the devestation and lives lost in Samoa. My heart goes out to all affected. Samoa has long been on the top of my destination list but due to various comittments I have not had the chance to visit yet. However my honeymoon will still be in Samoa regardless of this event. I think it is of vital importance that we continue to visit Samoa as tourist dollars and support will be crucial.

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
198 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsunami

Couldn't agree more, its heartbreaking to see whats happened, i wish i could be there now just to help, Clint.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsunami

Fa'afetai tele lava (thank you very much) everyone for your prayers, thoughts and willingness to still come to this amazing country. Samoa will depend greatly on tourism to help rebuild everything that has been lost.

Whilst we have been devastated the Samoan spirit has not been broken, they want to rebuild and can still manage a smile.

Unfortunately the death toll is now 110(and uncounted tourists) and the estimated homeless is up to 30,000 which is enormous for a country whose resident population fluctuates between only 180,000 and 200,000.

If any of your countries have fund raising appeals could you please donate whatever you can, no matter how small, every bit counts, Australia and NZ Governments are contributing substantial amounts but a little more would never go astray.

While you are here please take the time to get to know the beautiful Samoan people, this is not just a country of great beauty the warmth of it's people is amazing and only made stronger by an age old culture.

Enjoy your stay.

Fa soifua

Deb

Southern California
Level Contributor
530 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsunami

Try watching CNN International or

You can go onto Yahoo News, find the article on the death toll from the tsunami & then click on the SLIDE SHOW from Samoa that is alongside the article.

There are 300 pictures of the area, including the destroyed resort areas...

They need donations of MONEY. I heard a Red Cross worker in Samoa today on the news begging for donations of cash to the Red Cross.

Send donations to the Red Cross, the Aussie Red Cross is helping in Samoa. Mercy Corps is too.

I would definitely check w/ the Samoa consulate before you travel there in 3 weeks, news reports today said there will be no power in American Samoa for "one month" and Samoa was hit much worse than American Samoa.

A hurricane does not do the damage that a tsunami does... first of all they were hit by an 8.0 earthquake, which knocked down buildings & tore up roads, then 10 minutes later 3 WALLS of water 20 feet high rushed in for ONE MILE... then sucking everything back out into the ocean.

We were in Khao Lak Thailand 3 years after they were hit by 3 30 foot high tsunamis & as someone who's lived through hurricanes, they do not compare to what a tsunami does.

I would hate to see you fly that far & not be able to stay anywhere... they need Red Cross or Mercy Corps donations NOW & eventually, tourism... right now all the water mains are broken...

We have a huge Samoan community in Los Angeles, so we are getting a lot of news.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tsunami

Malo all

Do check accommodation, many Samoans will be coming home to help their families, some staying in hotels in Apia, others wanting to be as close as possible to their families to help them rebuild their lives.

With the exception of the south east coast electricity is still connected everywhere, communications are coming back to normal except for the congestion experienced on the phone lives purely and simply by people wanting to stay in touch with loved ones.

If yur government issues a warning not to come, then heed it, otherwise continue with your holiday plans away from the devastated areas.

Fa soifua

Deb

8. Re: Tsunami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2010, 05:17