We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apia vs Savai'i

Wadena, Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
21 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Apia vs Savai'i

We will be stopping off in Samoa in March on our way home from New Zealand. Originally(prior Tsunami).I had planned to rent a car and drive around Apia booking accommodation as needed. Is this still a viable option. Should I be looking at booking the car ferry to Savai'i and travelling around both islands or is this to much for a week.

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apia vs Savai'i

malo

i would say that espically since the tsuami you should have luck just finding accomodation, as tourism is down. so great that you can come and support samoa rebuild by supporting tourism. as long as you dont have your heart set on a particular resort , you should find somewhere to stay.

we are returning also in march and i have prebooked a car. keep in mind if you want to take the car to savaii ( so across the ferry, you will have to book it in once you get there at the samoan shipping office in apia).

you could do both islands it will be a bit rushed, so up to you. but the great thing about samoa, is the relaxing, no hurry!! type holiday.

there is still heaps of places to stay and heaps to see and do just in upolu.

enjoy your plans.

sue

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apia vs Savai'i

Malo lava less

Sue is right, there is no problem with finding accommodation on either Upolu or Savaii but end March is approaching the high tourist season and we do expect that there will be an increase in tourism next year as the tsunami is now almost 3 months ago. The danger has gone and rebuilding is underway. There are 2 resorts (and possibly a 2 more) that will be open in March on the south coast of Upolu where the tsunami did the most damage. These are Sa'Moana Resort and Virgin Cove (Coconuts and Sinalei may be open by then as well). It would be wonderful if you could spend a couple of days down south as not only is it a boost to tourism but also the morale of the people who suffered so much and are now trying to revuild their lives. Both Sa'moana and Virgin Cove are excellent places to relax and watch the Samoan world go by. If you are looking at staying in Apia then the accommodation is as usual as Apia was not directly affected by the tsunami.

If you are looking for the beach fale experience then definitely go to Savaii, there are also some great resorts there as well - Savaii Lagoon Resort and Le Lagoto are the pick of the crop.

Most hire car companies are back on track now after losing some of their fleets in the tsunami so hiring a car shouldn't be a problem. As Sue said, book your car on the ferry with Samoa Shipping in Apia, it is 160 tala return plus 9 tala each way for every person other than the driver .

Have a browse around jasons.com/samoa and samoa_hotels.ws sites and you'll see what is available. It may be advisable to book.

A week would be a little hectic to cover both islands but take it at your own pace, stop where you want and explore and discover this amazing country, if you don't make it around both islands you certainly will have had a wonderful experience trying!!

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions just fire away.

Fa soifua

Deb

Wadena, Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
21 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apia vs Savai'i

Should a person book a 4 wheel drive or is 2 wheel sufficent.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apia vs Savai'i

Malo lava

A 2 wheel should be fine unless you are looking at going off the beaten track to somewhere like Lake Lanoto on Upolu which is only accessibl by 4WD and then a 3-5 hour hike to the lake, also if you drive around the west coast you come across some very steep roads leading into the mountains which are is a pretty bad state. There are some other site like Pulemelei Mound on Savaii that it is best to use a 4WD for but other than that, if you stick to the main roads around the island a 2 wheel should be all you need.

Once you get to Apia got to the Visitor's Tourist Centre on Beach Road and they will supply you with a map that denotes areas that are only accessible by 4WD.

Hope this helps.

Manuia le aso

Deb

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apia vs Savai'i

yeah, a 2 WD should be fine, that's all we are getting this year, also cheaper.

as deb said, if you want a fale experince your best at the moment to go to savaii, there is heaps to choose from, we weren't planning on going to savaii this year, but i just LOVE staying in a fale, so i am tempted to try and go for a few nights, its such a great experince, but if we can't squeeze a trip to savaii in ( we are going for 10 days), then there is virgin cove, which has very nice fales ( esp the selcluded fales! ).

re sinalei i thik they open in april.

sue

Edited: 14 December 2009, 21:38
6. Re: Apia vs Savai'i

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2010, 05:21