We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogs

Nottingham. Egland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Dogs

Hi

I am going to Samoa at the end of March for my medical elective and will be based in Apia, I was wondering what the dog situation was like over there? I am totally phobic and have just read a report on another website that said you can't go out after dark? Is this true? HELP.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dogs

Malo lava

Will you be living in a village or right in Apia? If you will be living in Apia the dog problem is not as bad as in villages and it's quite safe to walk around at night.

However walking through a village in the night time is a pretty risky thing to do. When we are in Samoa we live in a village called Moata'a and after years of living there neither my husband and I go out without a stick and some rocks to throw at the dogs to at least warn them to back off, having said that we have never been bitten. We are dog lovers but still use a lot of caution.

All the dogs are doing is protecting their territory and because there are so many of them the problem seems more alarming. The Animal Protection have a desexing drive on at the moment so hopefully this will make the problem a little less.

Apaart from that I hope you have a wonderful time and don't be too edgy about the dogs.

Fa soifua

Deb

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dogs

I was wondering what exactly is Samoa doing to reduce the Dog population? Do they have Dog control it seems to be frightening a lot of people from coming to Samoa especially with Children. Is the government serious about Tourism because if they are you would expect them to be reducing the population and setting legal requirements for Dog ownership. And putting any strays down that they find. Is any of this happening?

Rather concerned about these issues as I am also considering moving to Samoa and I have 2 young children.

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
845 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dogs

we have been to samoa a few times, and never had a problem with dogs. But as deb said , be sensible, we wouldn't wonder around at night, espically in the villages, my sister lived in one of the villages for a year and only had one time see was scared by dogs and see had some rocks and scared them away.

over the years we have noticed a great improvement in the amount and condition of the dogs around. there is much less now .

we have travelled with kids and babies and never felt treatened by the dogs. samoa is a wonderful counrty and i feel very safe over there.

i hope you enjoy your time over there , where are you going to live.

have you been to samoa yet? i am a midwife and have visited the hopsital a few times ( big difference from my hospital where i work now. i would love to live in samoa and work , but i have to wait untill by boys have finished there high schooling ) .

enjoy paradise!

sue

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dogs

Malo

As I mentioned in my last post the Animal Protection Society is having a free desexing drive and are actively seeking out families with large numbers of dogs to have their dogs desexed. They have also launched an education campaign to make people aware that desexing will help in the temperament of their dogs, this program is taking place in both schools and at village meetings. The issue will get better over time and education is the key.

As for the strays, these are not the dangerous dogs as they are not running in packs, they are just poor, hungry, lost souls looking for someone to be kind enough to give them a scrap of food. The APS has only one compound and 3 vets for the entire country so they do not have the manpower to travel around the streets every day looking for strays.

The problem is getting better, I notice it every time we go. In 2007 prior to the South Pacific Games many dogs were culled and since then things have improved but these things do take time and lots of money which is just not available.

As both Sue and I have said, just exercise caution and where you are living makes a huge difference. If you are in an area where many expats or wealthy Samoans live (Vailima, Aleisa, Avele) then the problem barely exists.

Please don't let the dog problem turn you totally off living in Samoa, in fact, by getting a couple of dogs of your own through the APS you will have added protection. Most of these animals need love and food and because they get very little of either they end up being a problem.

Fa soifua

Deb

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dogs

Thanks for that Deb.And we need to see a quick post from you....to get you off that Devil's number!:-)

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dogs

Tai tele Jim, I hadn't even noticed although I think I'm bedevilled regardless of the number of posts I make!!!

Manuia le aso

Deb

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dogs

LOL @ Deb ... is that what those little bumps are on your forehead? It's the horns coming through!!

*runs off to hide from Deb's jandal-wielding ... *

;o)

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dogs

LOL uo, you are just as bedevilled as I and I doubt very much that a jandal would even make a dent in your lovely head!!!

9. Re: Dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2010, 08:18