We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warnings for travellers?

auckland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Warnings for travellers?

I just booked flights to Apia.

While looking for accommodation i found a forum that said that there are several problems that ruined the authors' holidays:

1. Packs of aggressive dogs at night

2. Theft (even by hotel managers)

3. Locals throwing stones at them

4. Generally very unfriendly, racist treatment throughout both islands.

another thing that was mentioned is medical services reusing needles (?!!)

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

I'm taking a friend and since the holiday was my suggestion I'm going to feel so bad if those things happen to us.

I've travelled around Africa and Asia and realise that things like theft do happen, but it was pretty surprising to see that hotel keepers and guesthouse hosts were often the culprits.

Southland
Level Contributor
20 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warnings for travellers?

You would do well to read the rest of these forums then as it is far from my experience there.

1.Yes there are a lot of stray dogs there but they weren't a problem when I was there, keep in mind that I didn't go looking for trouble with them!

2.Can't comment on the theft as I never experienced any.

3.No stone throwing when I was there although I have heard of kids throwing stones at tourists when they speed through their villages in their rental vehicles when they are not supposed to.

4.Anything but unfriendly when I was there, plenty of smiling everywhere.

Have never heard of them reusing needles but I doubt that they would.

As I mentioned, take the time to read some of the posts in this forum and I'm sure you will be happy to visit Samoa and if you can handle travelling around Asia and Africa then this really will be a holiday.

I will be taking my kids back there later this year for another holiday!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warnings for travellers?

Malo le soifua

I think you would have seen those posts on the Thorn Tree forum at the Lonely Planet website. If they are the posts I'm thinking of, they've been there for ages.

Yes there can be lots of dogs around at night in Apia, depending on where you are. If I am staying in Vailima, I usually carry a stick or a pocket full of rocks. However, this is the exception, not the norm! Just be aware at night that there can be dogs around, and if in doubt, take a taxi. It's only a few tala.

Unfriendly? Never. I don't think many people who have been to Samoa would back that up.

Theft - it can happen anywhere. I've stayed in a lot of Samoan properties over many many years, and I've never had anything stolen, not even out of an unsecured beach fale. If you are in doubt, keep your valuables on you.

Medical services in Samoa are generally of a high service. I've never heard or seen of needles being reused. If you have to seek medical treatment in Apia, go to the MedCen hospital, that's the best one for foreigners, and it's much quieter than the Moto'otua hospital which is used mainly by locals.

Stones being thrown? As someone else said, if you speed through the villages you might get rocks thrown at you! However I've never experienced this.

Keep an open mind and don't be too concerned about a few posts on a website. Read some of the forums here (and the reviews) and see if you can find some good positive things to look forward to before you arrive there. Have fun and relax.

Fa soifua

Tina

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warnings for travellers?

hi

I am sure you and your friend will both have a wonderful stay. we have been 5 times and love it more and more each time -its wonderful, the island is stunning, there is heaps to see and expeincence, the people are amazing friendly, its so relaxing.

we have never had a problem with dogs, but like tina said it depends where you are staying, if in the villages then there seems to be more packs of dogs. so take some 'protection' like a big stick/rocks. but where are you two staying? i am sure it will be fine. i have noticed an imporvement in the moment and the condition of the dogs over the years.

theft - well i would be sensible with your belongings, but we have only eever had one problem when my husband left the car beside the road and wen tfishing, and returned to find his wallet stolen!! I always am sensible with with money and valuable things like my camera, i take them with me always.

never ever had a stone thrown at me, or even heard of locals beng unfriendly to tourists ! we have always been so welcomed by the samoan people. be friendly and enjoy this beautiful country , the samoan people are very proud of samoa.

and i have been to the hospital (i am a nurse/midwife)on tours with midwifes who volunteer there , and work with drs who have worked in samoa and they have never mentioned resusing needles. if you have to get medical treatment just check if things are being opened from sterile packaging. i know that at some of the smaller hospitals they do run of out things and therefore recommend you go into town.

4. Re: Warnings for travellers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 06:22