We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samoan surf

Stavanger, Norway
2 posts
Save Topic
Samoan surf

Hi! Im going to samoa in about a week and im just wondering if any1 knows if its good to do surfing there? and the best place to stay if you want to meet other backpackers? thanks for all replies (:

Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
845 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samoan surf

the surfing in samoa, is good ( well i am not a surfer, but this is what i get told!) but its only for the experienced.

you could give Sa'Moana a email / call , they are a surf resort, on upolu, the other surf resort was salani ( but this has been completely destroyed with the tsunami)

there is a place just out of town which is a cheaper option, and you can stay in the fales there at the surf site ( think the surf site is called black pudding, but not sure on the name of the fales here.)

hope this helps

Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samoan surf

Malo lava Kent

I'm assuming you haven't booked any accommodation yet? How long are you going for? The reason I ask is that if you have say a 10 day period you could split your time between both islands and get the best of both worlds as far as surfing and meeting other backpackers go.

As Sue said, surfing in Samoa is only for the very experienced, there are not many beach breaks so for the most part you have to be taken out past the reef by professionals who know the areas and the best places to surf off the reef without putting you in the way of too much danger, All surf camps on Upolu were wiped out by the tsunami. The biggest, in terms of dedicated surf accommodation, was Salani which is slowly being rebuilt , the following link to the Salani website tells you a little about the surfing on Upolu http://www.surfsamoa.com/salani_surfing.html. I have tried to find Nick's (the owners) contact details but they have been taken off the website, he would have been able to give you invaluable information about the best places to go. Also as suggested by Sue, Sa'moana Surf Resort also do surfing expeditions but it is not a backpacker style resort but I think they may take people out independant of them staying there or not in which case I suggest you contact them through the following link and see if you can arrange something - http://www.samoanaresort.com/. For accommodation on Upolu I suggest you stay at Taufua Beach Fales, it has a great communal atmosphere, is around 120 tal per night for a beachfront open fale and that includes breakfast and dinner, it's situated on the most beautiful beach on Upolu in idyllic surroundings, have a look here http://www.samoabeachfales.com/e_index.htm

Then there's Savaii where a lot of people claim the best surf in Samoa is. Once again, 99% reef breaks and only for the experienced. There are several surf camps/resorts on Savaii catering to all sorts of budgets. Probably the best is Aganoa Beach Fales which is also backpacker style accommodation - check it out here www.samoa.travel/accommodationView.aspx?ID=23

Also have a look at the following site http://www.jasons.com/Samoa/surfs-up-in-samoa and if you go to the jasons.com/samoa site you will be able to find all sorts of accommodation.

My personal recommendation is that if you want to spend a lot of time surfing and in backpacker type accommodation you should look at spending most of your time on Savaii. There is a great selection of beach fale accommodation along the Manase stretch of beach and dotted throughout the island, very cheap, always including breakfast and dinner and a fiafia night once a week and usually with Sunday to'onai (traditional lunch) thrown in and all with a communal atmosphere so you can meet lots of people from all over the world. You would also be living in a Samoan village so would get to experience village life and culture first hand.

I hope this info helps, wherever you stay have a fantastic time exploring and discovering this beautiful country, it's amazing people and truly unique culture. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

We're off in just over a week ourselves for 7 months so I'm getting pretty excited as well.

Manuia le aso (have a great day)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samoan surf

Samoa has great surfing. I've surfed in Hawaii but I'm not experienced enough for Samoa; reef breaks only... I've stayed at Samoana Resort and they are really set up for surfers. They have experienced guides and you can surf right out front at the Resort. Plus, they have their own boats to get to other surf breaks. It isn't really a backpackers resort so it might not be quite what you are looking for. Check out their web site.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: Samoan surf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2010, 05:19